C34 ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Chargers & Batteries:  C34 Electrical Systems

I'm starting a NEW thread here.  If you add "C34 Electrical Systems" to your posts, it'll be a lot easier to search for them in the future.

At the end of a long thread started by Rich, the following posts appeared:

Paul (Yachta Yachta Yachta #1634, )'03'
  posted October 26, 2003 05:11 AM  
I am sitting here reading about the batteries and replacements for the batteries. I do have some concerns, a friend of mine a couple of slips down also owns a 2000 C34 and has to repalce his batteries next season. Since this is my first season with my 2003 C34 I am wondering will I also be replacing mine in three years. Sould I be thinking of replacements?

Paul

Norris Johnson #1408 1998 "Mariposa"
  posted October 26, 2003 07:55 AM  
Paul,
I had the same problem with my batteries, but the problem wasn't with the batteries, it was the charger. It is a 20 amp Flyback and it was overcharging the 2 4d's that came with my boat. I sent the charger back to the factory and it was repaired. The cost of repair was related to the age of the charger. It was ~ 75 bucks.

Paul (Yachta Yachta Yachta #1634, )'03'
  posted October 26, 2003 09:05 AM  
How do I know if my charger can cause the problem is there a serial # or a recall on the charger. I heard of problems on some of the 2000 boats C36's in particular.

Paul

The basic answers to your questions about battery life are:

1.  The battery chargers installed by Catalina are poor at best (read s*ck), and WILL kill your batteries.  Charles or Flyback.  You should expect at least five or more years from carefully maintained batteries which can ONLY be accomplished with a quality, three stage charger.  So far the ONLY one this community of C34 owners has found is the Statpower Truecharge, in 20 or 40 amp models, now made by Xantrex.  These are standalone chargers.  The Trace or Heart Inverter Charger combinations also have great chargers.  {There was no recall on the Flyback - read the posts noted below - it was and remains a piece of junk - get rid of it, it is killing your batteries.  Same for the Charles, even if you just bought a brannd new boat.}

2.  Enlarging your house battery bank as large as you can make it.  The larger a house bank, the less percentage is drawn down each time it is used, thus extending the life of the batteries.

3.  A good alternator with a newer three stage external regulator will reduce charging times and keep your batteries healthy.  The factory installed alternator will do almost nothing to charge your batteries, but unless run for hours on end, will usually do batteries little harm.  If you depend on your alternator to recharge your batteries at anchor, and you haven't upgraded to a higher output alternator with a new external regulator (or done the same adjustments to the regulator on your stock alternator), you will get relatively little output (except for the first few minutes) and the alternator at anchor will be essentially useless.

Three years on a set of batteries should be considered absolutely unacceptable.  Norris is right, it's the charger.

The cost of a quality charger far outweighs the cost of replacing batteries.

Using the FIND feature of this message board, please do a little research to answer your questions.

Start with this:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=srch&s=329609511&findw=charger

It came from a Find request on "charger."

Do the same for batteries, alternators and the other associated parts of electrical systems, like electrical.  Also do a FIND on the word REDUX, it will get you to the discussion on Charles chargers, which Catalina is still using, unfortunately.

You'll find that a lot of discussion has already taken place on just these issues.  You can type out a printr friendly version of the posts or the seach lists and easily get back to them to read again later.

Also, buy and read Calder's Boatowner's Manual, as I've previously suggested.  The $50 for this book will save you untold headaches, and answer a lot of the questions you are going to ask.  The return on your investment for the book will be about 2 weeks, the amount of time it'll take you to read it - four hours if you just stay with the electrical parts  :)

While we're all here to answer your questions, I don't think that this 'site or the messsage board, was designed or intended to reiterate the basics that are much better covered in books already published.  The best we can do, and all we aim to do, is help out with C34 related issues.  

Electrical systems cover all boats, ours included :), while C34s and Catalinas, have, unfortunately, come with all-too-basic electrical systems, and that includes the ones being produced today.

The subject of boat electrical systems is complicated, and no two boats are exactly the same, based on useage and experience.  It is also, for older boats, depdendent on what electrical equipment was available when the PO performed his last electrical upgrade, if any.

Do you hang in marinas, or do you want to be out on the hook?  The answers to those questions will determine the answer that is right for YOU and your unique situation as far as your overall electrical system is concerned.

The best things to do to keep your batteries healthy were noted above.

Good luck is a misnomer for this subject.  Luck should NOT play a part in it at all.  If it does, that's when electrical problems start.

Happy research and I'd be glad to answer any more specific questions as they may come up.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

paule

Stu,

Thank you for the advice. I guess that I will be looking for a new charger at the AC show.
Usally I work the owners booth with Ron I know he is a big help.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

bjmansfield

For good prices on Statpower Truecharge battery chargers, check www.vitelectronics or www.vitmarine (not the same company). The 20+ is $255 vs $319 at West Marine, etc.  When I bought mine last Nov., Xantrex (the manufacturer) had a $50 rebate offer so ended up paying $205 for the Truecharge 20+, a pretty good deal.  Vitelectronics lists any manufacturer rebates on their home page.

Jack