Install toe rail 1-1/4" T-Track

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

Thinking about installing 1-1/4" aluminum T-Track on port and std toe rail.  What length 5/16" screws should I use?
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

Screws?? I would think you use through bolts? Which is why I have not done it on mine. Too hard.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

You can through bolt from the top of the toe rail?  I guess I need to take a close look from the interior at the joint.  Sounds like some really demanding boat yoga...

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Ron Hill

Guys : Does anyone know how the factory installed that genoa toe rail??  I'm not too sure if it is thru bolted or not?  Maybe a call down to Warren Tandy in Florida might help?  @ (727) 544- 6681.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

I can't see a situation where sheetmetal screws could EVER hold the load being asked of that T track.  I have it on my boat and would be extremely surprised if I didn't find bolts and washers underneath.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Every Catalina I looked at a few years ago, the outboard track was thru bolted. I added a block and diamond pad eye by the exhaust fan cowls port and starboard instead.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Holger Dieske

... they are screwed. I just put the front feet for my arch on it a few weeks ago. the (rear) nuts are to starboard next to the aft cabin cupboard (I cut a hole in there to get at them) and to port behind the engine control panel.

Holger
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Noah

Holgar — Are you saying the jib track is attached with bolts and nuts or is it screwed on with self-tapping screws? I am not sure if your google translate got this issue confused?
Standard Rig

Holger Dieske

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Holger Dieske

there, at the rear end of the rail, I screwed the foot on (bolted through):

karista

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 24, 2022, 02:16:29 PM
Guys : Does anyone know how the factory installed that genoa toe rail??  I'm not too sure if it is thru bolted or not?  Maybe a call down to Warren Tandy in Florida might help?  @ (727) 544- 6681.

A thought

Ron, I am the original owner and the boat came with the outside optional genoa toe rail. The toe rail is thru bolted with washers and nuts on the inside!
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Noah

Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

Nuts and Bolts it is.  Now I just need to see how accessible it is, or isn't, to do that....

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Ron Hill

Bill : Now that the deck portion of the C34 has been mated to the hull portion - I'm afraid that your accessibility to the under side of the toe rail is VERY limited!!   :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

The port side toe rail can likely be done, albeit with a challenge.  The stbd side has the aft cabin liner covering the toe rail area for most of the run making that near impossible without cutting the hull liner for access.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte