Removing boom for winter storage

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

This is the first time covering my boat for the winter. I am leaving the mast up, but is it OK to remove the boom? If I remove the boom I will be able to put a tarp over the cockpit and wrap around the mast. This will cover most of the port lights and the one hatch. I plan on running a rope from the mast to the back of the boat for the tarp to hang over. If anyone has a easier or better way I am open to suggestions
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Ron Hill

Dan : Guess that you can do it that way, but I leave the boom on. Some people leave the boom on and tarp to the base of the stanchions and some tarp to go over the top of the stanchions.  I have a custom cover (one of the BEST items I have ever bought for the boat!!)  You might want to think about a wooden frame under the tarp - if you have a big snow load.

I'm sure that you'll get many other recommendation for covering you C34 in the winter!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Dan you might check out these message threads.
https://c34.org/search_gcse/?q=%22winter%20cover%22

Also click the "images" tab.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

patrice

Hi,
For winter cover.
I would not suggest tarp over stanchion.  This put side force on them, and not good.
You can leave boom on, but attach it on both side of boat to stop it from swigning sideways all winter.

I put a 2x4 from top of cabin to pedestial, and another one from pedestial to back of boat.
Then put a tarp to cover from back of mast to back of boat.
Use stanchions to fix tarp.
And for best result, run a rope over the tarp in zigzag patern on it whole lenght.  Wind will go under tarp and will rip it.  This rope will prevent this to happen.

This from a fellow winterizing up north.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Jim Hardesty

Dan,
You didn't say how far north you are.  Here in Erie,PA most boaters are serious about winter covering.  This is my new winter cover from Ship Shape.  I'm very happy with it.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

melp64

Wow now that's a really nice cover but I'm sure that cover cost as much as I paid for my boat. I live in Grand rapids mi and the boat is in muskegon. I have so much work to do to the boat I hoping just to keep it as dry as I can on a very very small budget. My goal is to work on the wood work this winter, this spring strip the bottom and paint and then start putting the wood work back together. The ultimate goal is to splash in 2024
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Jim Hardesty

Dan,
FYI cover was $2590.  That was prices this spring and was for the Deluxe cover with extras.  Basic cover was $2180.  I think it's money well spent to reduce spring and on-going maintenance.  For me it is.

QuoteThe ultimate goal is to splash in 2024

IMHO unless you have a reason to postpone, my 2 cents is to sail the boat next season.  Even if the boat isn't as nice as you want it.  Concentrate on the functional stuff and sail it.  I say this only because I've seen too many people get burned out working on a boat that never gets in the water.  as we say YBYC  Your Boat Your Choice
Wishing you the best,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA