Windlass upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

searover

Hi, I've done a lot of searching on windlass topics, and is it possible that some of you may know of newer equipment (entire windlass, gypsy only or used parts) on the market.  I have a Maxwell 500 (basic) windlass with a rode only gypsy.  I am looking for a chain/rode type of gypsy.  My rode will consist of either 100 feet of 3/8inch or 8mm chain and 150 feet of 5/8 inch line. 
I sail in the Great Lakes and usually anchor in 15 to 30 feet of water with my Mantus anchor.  I do, do not intend to travel around the world.  :) ( maybe a short stint in the Bahamas.
Is it possible to find a gypsy only to upgrade rather than an entire new windlass?
If I need to buy new, what would best suit my C34 MKII, 1998? (With most simple installation)
Much appreciate any advice you could bestow on me!

Noah

To the best of my knowledge there are no chain gypsies made or available anymore for the Maxwell 500. You might find a rare used one "somewhere" Good luck.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Lucky Tiger

I just finished up my windlass install. There is a good discussion on some things you'll need to be prepared for if you go with the Maxwell vw10-8 or the vw10-10. Scroll the recent topics and you'll see a discussion there on the topic or search the board. It wont be an easy swap though unfortunately.
2000 MKii "Lucky Tiger II" #1462