Engine Compression and M25XP

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I had an Engine survey done on an '89 C34 I am considering.

I have the following data from the survey:

Temp @ injectors
1 - 103, 2 - 107, 3 - 119

Compresson:
1 - 410, 2 - 350, 3 - 320

Is there a correlation between the increasing temperature and the declining compression?

Are these compression numbers consistent and typical for an '89 25XP with about 1900 hours?

And finally, how many hours do you expect I can get out of this engine in its current condition, closer to 50, or 500?

John

The guy that surveyed the Engine said it has lots of life left in it, that this was normal for an engine of this age ('89) and hours (1900). He suggested a valve adjustment might help. I did the valve adjustment but have not had the compression re-checked.

I also posted a question to Westerbeke, they said this was no big deal, that I should get several more years of life out of the engine. The said that what was important was the delta between the high and low, and that the delta (90 psi) was not a worry.

They quoted my $6500 for a replacement but suggested I keep running the engine. I thought that was a pretty positive statement, heck they were forgoing an Engine sale.

The other question they had was how did she run, the answer was quiet and powerful. So all in all, I am satisfied with the condition of the Engine.