Oberdorfer Lip Seal Substitute?

Previous topic - Next topic

Wurlitzer1614

While doing a quick engine test run last weekend before we launched for the season, I noticed a lot of water leaking between the shaft and carbon bushing. After pulling the impeller, I saw what looked to me like excessive play in the bushing. Needless to say, I ordered a new bushing and the obligatory gaskets and lip seals. When the package arrived yesterday, I was surprised that the "equivalent" lip seal parts I received didn't have a brass housing. Does anyone have experience with using Jabsco 92700-0060 as lip seals? I'm worried that, without a brass to brass press fit, the seals will work themselves loose. This was my parts source:

https://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ships_store/?p=numberresults&pn=295627&storetype=mdd&x=4&y=7

Thanks!
Trevor - 1988 - #815 - WK - M25XP - West Michigan

Ron Hill

Trevor : What does the black material seem to be?  Just a coating over brass?  Have you tried to slide the impeller shaft thru the inside?   How is it going to seal around the inside to the shaft???  Skeptical that it will work!?!

A few thoughts??
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Non comprendo senor
Is there a reason not to use the genuine Oberdorfer replacement part?
Ob p/n 5463, should be in stock at Depco.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Good point, Ken.

wurlitzer1614, have you considered calling TOAD and asking them?  Could also call Depco and ask, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Wurlitzer1614

Thanks, everyone. Sorry about the delayed response. The Jabsco seals appear to be entirely rubber. I'll be sending them back. I ended up ordering the "official" 11691 repair kit and using that to rebuild the pump late last week. I also flattened the inside of the cover plate and replaced the intake hose while I was at it. I highly recommend finding an arbor press for seal removal/insertion. It took only a few minutes to replace the seals and carbon bushing. The pump seems to be working great now.
Trevor - 1988 - #815 - WK - M25XP - West Michigan

Ron Hill

Trevor : I wrote an article on the removal and installation of the O'doffer lip seals in the Mainsheet tech notes. 

The information on how to do MANY things to a C34 have all ready been written in the Mainsheet tech notes!!  That is 35 years or 140 issues of HOW TO's  plus the posts on this site.  Read Read Read !!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788