Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stubborn Waterline Stains  (Read 773 times)

Catalina007

• Forum - Petty Officer 3rd Class
    • View Profile
Re: Stubborn Waterline Stains
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 02:23:30 PM »

also try using Barkeepers Friend. About $2.50 and does the job.
But ots all short term success.  The gelcoat surface becomes pourus when old and the only real permanent cure is a new paint job at the emd of the day 

Ron Hill

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 02:59:16 PM »

Guys : Barkeepers Friend has Ocylic (sp?) acid in the powders form.  FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) has the same acid in the gel form. 

I was much happier when I moved the water line up - because that small white strip was usually under water anyway (hence the stain).  That's why Gerry Douglas told me that the 3ft+ draft (wing keel) was a design goal which Catalina missed!!  The real draft (C34 loaded) is closer to 4ft 5 in.  So you might as well raise the water line anyway because the boat sits lower in the water than the gelcoat trim was designed for!!!  Save yourself some work each spring!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 04:22:42 PM »

The gelcoat surface becomes pourus when old and the only real permanent cure is a new paint job at the emd of the day
My thoughts exactly.  I think if you don't have 2-3 inches of bottom paint above the static water line, consider moving it up. Think painting the white would work.  Really, IMHO, the only ones that get a close look at the hull below the boot stripe are fish and seagulls.  Not the usual sort that I try to impress with a bright white stripe.  Lots of other things much higher on my priority, much to the chagrin of the fish and seagulls. 
Sorry if I sound dismissive but really it's only obvious when the boat's out of the water.
Jim
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 04:27:39 PM by Jim Hardesty »
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up