Depthsounder and knot log wire routing

Previous topic - Next topic

girmann

On our boat, both of these instruments are just forward of the bottom compartment in the v-berth. These wires go to port and disappear behind an insert. I can't tell where they go. Does anyone else have this setup? Any idea where they go on the port side of the boat?

I mean, logic would say that the wires are behind the port settee, nav station, hanging locker, and head, but I'm trying to pull new wires and want to get an idea of what I'm in for before I start it.

Thanks for your help!

Mark
2001 C34MkII #1488
Proud owner of hull #1488

KeelsonGraham

Yes, it's the same on my boat. All tightly bundled with other stuff. The wires go all the way back to the pod at the helm, unless you have some kind of SeaTalk network or similar.

Putting in a new triducer, it was too difficult to follow this route so, instead I routed through the port cabin locker then under the cabin settee to the chart table.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

girmann

Wow! Well, I almost have the whole thing traced through. The depth sounder and knot log go:

• To port and aft, like I guessed, into the port hanging locker.
  • From there, they go, like KeelsonGraham mentioned into the space behind the port settee. There's a glassed in PVC pipe that carries these wires aft.
  • Then they exit that PVC towards the aft end of the port settee and go up into the electrical compartment. There's a piece of trim that hangs down from the top of the electrical compartment. All of the wires are tucked behind this trim.
  • They travel aft all the way across the electrical compartment to... somewhere. I can't figure out where they go. I've removed the trim in the head, but not the cabinet yet.
  • From there, they appear in the aft cockpit locker and traverse the back of that
[li] Then they *appear* to go into the aft port locker and then *probably* into the posts for the Navpod
[/li][/list]     

I will update this as I get more information and continue to trace these wires. The weird thing about the routing through the head is that I can't see any wires going into the head...it almost looks like there's possibly a space behind the head??? Anyway, I'll leave this as a reference to anyone else trying this. I'm sure that I'll need to update this once I actually run the cable rather than just trying to trace it.

Mark
Proud owner of hull #1488