Head ideas, anyone?

Previous topic - Next topic

suereal

When I was in Scouts, away at camp in the wilds of Wisconsin 50 some years ago, one of the leaders was a former Navy man. He "promoted" one of the scouts to be captain of the head. The leader and the scout's dad saw great humor in that. The scout was quite proud of his promotion, until he wasn't.

Fast forward to today and it seems I've been "promoted" too.

Seaclusion has all the original head bits except that a PO has glassed over discharge thru hull and disconnected the fill hose from the head and the discharge line from the tank/macerator. Vent line and pump out are still intact.

There is a 1.5 in line that goes from the head to a thru hull via a anti siphon loop in the locker just aft of the nab station. Direct discharge. Yuck.

I'd like (need) to bring the boat into compliance. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. By the way, if anyone can think of a way without needing a new thru hull that would be awesome!
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion
C34 #364, M25 XP #37 Oshkosh,WI
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read". Groucho Marx

rmjohns

My last boat had a simple y valve after the anti-siphon. One side of the "Y" went to the tank, one side went directly overboard. Rules vary I think area to area, but it use to be if you had a lock on the discharge seacock, it met the CG code.  Then if you're outside the 3 mile range, having it open to discharge overboard is still an option.  Maybe not the absolute best solution, but it sounds like it would work with your current setup without too much work.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say the fill hose ( I read that as to fill the head while flushing) is disconnected? Did the PO also glass over the fill through hull or just the discharge?
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

suereal

By fill hose I meant the tank fill from the toilet to the waste tank. This makes the tank unusable.

I'm trying to put the tank back into the equation.

Has anyone abandoned the waste tank under the port settee and installed a new tank in the head. I'm thinking above the toilet? Have to remove the small storage space there. I'm not sure it would be a reasonable solution.

Thanks again for the insight.
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read". Groucho Marx

Admiral_Swellson

Can you post pictures because I can't wrap my head around your description. To me, it just sounds like you need to run the toilet back into the tank which can then either be routed by valve to the pumpout on deck OR to the macerator/through-hull direct out?

suereal

Here's some pics. Not sure if they're attached.
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion

suereal

Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion

suereal

On the last photo the white hose come from the toilet to the tank. As you can see it's capped off. The black hose comes from the macerator. In the first set of pics the white hose comes directly from the head to the thru hull.
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion

suereal

As originally set up, the toilet ran directly to the tank. The tank has 2 outputs one, for the pump out which is still in operation (although,it's useless because there's no pump out where I'm located). The second to the macerator and then to the thru hull next to the tank. That thu hull has been abandoned and glassed over.

Apparently, a new 1.5 in is now in the locker aft of the nav station. It's a direct dump from the toilet. A violation of all kinds of rules even here in Mexico. And disgusting too.

Instead of re-installing the old thru hull that's been abandoned, I'd like to try and use the larger one in the locker.

Sorry to be unclear. Hopefully, that helps.
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion

waughoo

Connect the hose from the "new" thru-hull in the hanging locker to the white hose at the top port side hose attached to the tank.  That will allow the head to fill the holding tank.  To restore the macerator use, you can see about connecting the macerator out to the thru-hull in the hanging locker.  It may not be that elegant, but it will likely be the fastest way to restore opperation.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

suereal

Thanks for the ideas. I was unsure if the macerator would push "everything" out on that far of a run. I'll need to drill another hole in the bulkhead but that's not a biggie. Thanks again for the help.
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion