Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace Cruisair Air Conditioner  (Read 157 times)

Rortega46

• Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
Replace Cruisair Air Conditioner
« on: December 29, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »

I have been adding R-22 ~ annually to the a/c for the last couple years.  The a/c is a Taylor Made/Cruiseair Model FX-16P, a 16k btu split system (compressor and 2 condensers) which is likely original to my 2001 C34.  Last year I paid a marine air conditioning guy $800 to charge and troubleshoot the problem.  He believes there is a slow leak near the condenser in the rear berth, which is a real problem to access.  His assessment is it will take 10-15 hrs to repair, about the same hrs as replacement.   

My questions are:
* Has anyone successfully repaired a freon leak on a Cruiseair 16k split-system?
* Has anyone replaced their entire Cruiseair 16k split-system?
* If so when, what brand and model # did you go with? 
* Did you do the install yourself or pay a marine a/c guy?
* Did you go with another split-system or a self-contained system(s)?  My a/c tech likes the idea of 2 self-contained 7k btu systems since it would be difficult to run 4-6 duct fore and aft from a unit in the cockpit locker. 

I can find nothing about replacing the a/c on a MKII after searching the Message Board and Tech Wiki. 
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Jim Hardesty

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Replace Cruisair Air Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 06:49:27 AM »

I have been adding R-22~ annually to the a/c for the last couple years.

That implies you have the tools and knowledge to recharge the system yourself.  Why not at next recharge use R-22 with dye and look for the leak yourself?  It may take a few days or more to show.  If nothing else it may show what needs fixed/replaced.
I know this doesn't answer your direct question.  Just wanted to suggest what I would do.  I installed an a/c unit under the v-berth with ducting to the aft berth, does take a while to cool the aft cabin.  Not a problem for me.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Rortega46

• Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
Re: Replace Cruisair Air Conditioner
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 02:34:56 PM »

Jim: 

Thanks for the reply.  I paid an a/c tech $800 to find a leak.  It is behind the aft berth and very difficult to access.  The labor to repair is about the same as would be required to replace the 20 year old system.  I may ultimately decide to repair but I am looking into replacement options, methods and cost.  I am getting quotes to replace the existing system with a similar 16k btu split-system, and alternatively with two 7k btu self-contained systems.

With all the knowledge of those on this forum, and considering all the info it has on C34 system upgrades, I am surprised there is little to nothing on a/c replacement.  I am sure its been done many times.  Our boats are getting older and a/c and heat is a requirement where we sail.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA
Pages: [1]   Go Up