Haunted Engine Panel?

Previous topic - Next topic

WTunnessen

It was the night before Halloween and our engine panel appeared to show signs of paranormal activity. 

Despite being turned off and the key removed, shortly before midnight I noticed that the instruments on the engine panel where on.  This was odd because the key was not in the ignition switch and there was no clicking of the fuel pump.  Yet, the instruments were eerily glowing red (of course)... 
So, I got the key, turned the ignition switch on and off and the instrument lights (RPM, Water Temp, etc.) went off.   However, less than minute later, the panel was glowing again!

Since I was not about to have my boat commandeered by spirits, I disconnected the cable from starter battery to the engine.  The engine panel light remained off, we remained in the slip, and the Gaulois did not join the ghost ship fleet.

Considering the time of year, ghost can not be completely ruled out.  However, recently the ignition switch had been acting fussy and I suspect that could be the source of the problem.  But I'm interested in other diagnosis so that I can exorcise the problem.

PS - Engine is as M25XP and the wire harness was upgraded.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

KWKloeber

Pull the panel and it should be simple enuf to troubleshoot.

See what feeds the lights on the gauges and trace it to the power source. 
Maybe there's a short (loose wire, terminal?) hitting a power source (red wire to the key switch B terminal?)

If not it pretty much says the power to the gauge lights is thru a faulty switch. 

Odd that a faulty switch would power up the gauge lights, etc , but possibly there was only enough current/voltage thru the switch to power lights but not "run" the gauges and pump.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

glennd3

Have you previously removed the panel?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

WT : Follow Kens advice.  Nothing haunted, just a simple short that needs to be chased down (before you run your batteries flat)!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

And before anyone says, "Read the Critical Upgrades!" I'm here to remind you that it was Walt himself who suggested the title of that particular thread.  Thanks again, Walt.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,

The lights on our control panel in the cockpit are on the same switch as the navigation lights.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Patrice : When your boat left the factory, the instrument lights came ON when you turned ON the key switch!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 11, 2021, 12:31:34 PM
Patrice : When your boat left the factory, the instrument lights came ON when you turned ON the key switch!!

A thought

Thanks for the input.

Must be a modif by the PO.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

WTunnessen

Update: I replaced the ignition switch and that appears to have solved the issue. So it was an electrical gremlin in the ignition switch.

Ron Hill

WT : No Gremlin involved, just a failed key switch!!  When the switch showed OFF it was still ON!!

Guys : Most of the key switches (and some other switches) come with a "weep" hole.  When you mount the switch, just make sure that the weep hole is down so any moisture can run out!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: WTunnessen on November 12, 2021, 07:16:01 PM
Update: I replaced the ignition switch and that appears to have solved the issue. So it was an electrical gremlin in the ignition switch.

@WT. did you put the optional weather cover on the new install; if not it's an important add on.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

WTunnessen

The faulty ignition switch was installed with the weep holes facing up since the key position worked better - namely was not as close the plexiglass panel screen.  At the time when I replaced the ignition switch that failed, I did not think it would make that much of a difference, since I also have a Sunbrella cover for the engine panel.  But apparently it does make a difference!  This time I did install the switch with holes facing down since I figured that contributed to the switch failing.

RE:  Weather cover - I plan to get one since I did not install it with the cover.

Ron Hill

WT : To help keep the engine instrument panel dryer here's what I did.  I cut a piece of Lexan to cover the entire panel face.  Then I drilled 1" holes in the panel for the key switch, the starter switch and the blower switch.  I also installed rubber boots on all of the switches.  There was a slot cut for the engine OFF pull.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788