Using a C38 cover on a C34

Previous topic - Next topic

GrahBella

Would anyone know or even take an educated guess as to if a cover for a C38 could be used on a C34 with minor modification.

WTunnessen

With covers, the slits/openings/zippers for the shrouds need to be in the correct place. I don't know how well the shroud "pattern" matches up between the C34 and C38.  But if they don't line up, then I think it would require some significant modifications, probably by a canvas maker.

I purchased a stock C34 cover from Fairclough in 2008. It's held up quite well but it's due to be re-stitched. So if your thinking about buying a used one, consider what other service it might need.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWould anyone know or even take an educated guess

As far as educated, won't make that claim.  I am in Erie Pa, covers are a yearly chore, so know some.  If you have the mast down, it may work.  There's a lot of ways covers are made, some have lots of frame work, some use a whisker pole and boom, some go to the water line some just to the toe rail, etc.   Do you have a picture of the cover on the C38?  That and comparing dimensions should give you an educated guess.  I believe with winter covers, do it right or don't do it.  A loose fitting flapping cover is a hazard.

On a different tack, I have a friend that may be buying a C387.  If you decide not to use the cover he may be interested.
If you decide not to use it PM me and I'll check with him.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA