Loose Companionway Stairs

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Ed,

The very early boats had your stair arrangement.  IIRC, Al Watson's #55 did, too, now owned by Dave Commando.

I don't know what hull # they switched, but they changed the top steps of the stairs so they could be removed as a unit.  The top of these, out of the picture, is like what is shown in the original post.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu : As I recall some of the early 1986 production C34s had 3 rather than 4 steps like all the subsequent production.  Don't know that hull # though!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mdidomenico

Does anyone know why they switched configurations?  Was there a safety issue?
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

ErikN

For what it's worth, my #53 has 3 steps just like Ed's.
Erik Noonburg, Seattle WA
#53 1986, SR/FK, M25, "Callooh! Callay!"

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mdidomenico on October 12, 2021, 05:47:32 AM
Does anyone know why they switched configurations?  Was there a safety issue?

If you compare my photo and Ed's you'll see that the differences are basic:

The newer version has one more step - this makes each step less vertical distance from the next  and therefore safer, the top step is closer to the cockpit floor

The newer ones make the top two steps removable

The old style used the top of the engine compartment as a step, the newer one tilts the front of the engine cover back and is no longer part of the steps

The newer steps are all pretty much the same depth, which is Basic Stair Building 101 - the "treads" should be the same width (or depth).  They also have the much same distance apart vertically.

The newer arrangement allows for the easy removal of the engine (white Formica) cover, and many of us have hinged that to make engine access easy without having to find a place to "put" the heavy and unwieldy cover - I used a spring hatch holder on mine, Ron Hill used a piano hinge
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ekutney

When friends have come aboard they have mentioned how the 3 step configuration seems to be a longer step than other boats but I personally like my arrangement.  It may be I'm just used to it & it provides easy access to the engine.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke