Repacking mk2 Rudder Stuffing Box

Previous topic - Next topic

Schulcb

I have a 2004 mk2.  The strut divot under the aft bunk is always full of saltwater.  From time to time, the flooring in the aft cabin gets wet, and small amounts of saltwater accumulates in the bildge.  I can't honestly say if it is worse in following seas, or heavy weather.

I suspect the packing needs to be replaced in the rudder stuffing box.  I've purchased the stuffing, but short of removing the aft water tank, I have no idea how to reach the 3rd or 3 bolts compressing the packing material in the box.  Furthermore, I'm a little nervous about undertaking this repair while the boat is in the water.

Has anyone successfully completed this repair?  While the boat has been in the water?

Grateful for any advice.
Craig S.
s/v 2nd Chapter
Hull #1675, 2004 mk2, M35bc, Tall Rig
Vancouver, BC

Noah

I have never done this, but it is my understanding that the need to repack the rudder stuffing is a rare event. However, there is a document on out website showing on how it works.

https://www.c34.org/faq-pages/techdata-rudder-packing-gland.html

First I would make sure that it is saltwater, not fresh, and that it is not water coming from anywhere elseā€”or fresh water mixing with saltwater coming from anywhere else. Good luck. Others here may have more (or better) advice.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Quotehave a 2004 mk2.  The strut divot under the aft bunk is always full of saltwater.  From time to time, the flooring in the aft cabin gets wet, and small amounts of saltwater accumulates in the bildge.  I can't honestly say if it is worse in following seas, or heavy weather.

Had same problems with Shamrock.  First thing I did was make sure the limber holes were clean and open.  I found a lot of saw dust, fiberglass chips and dirt.  Probably from original construction.  After that cleaning, aft cabin floor stayed dry.  Next replaced the o-ring on the emergency tiller cover, was able to find at local hardware.  Then gave each of the 3 screws holding the rudder packing maybe a third of a turn.  Was able to reach from the aft lockers.  The little divot for the strut still sometimes has water that I believe comes from the aft locker lids during washing.  Weather striping that helps but still get a little water that does drain to bilge.

QuoteI'm a little nervous about undertaking this repair while the boat is in the water.

Think the packing is well above the water line, shouldn't be a problem.  But check first.  I suggest doing the easy things described above first.  That resolved my similar problems.

Hopes that helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Schulcb

Thanks for the advice.

I will start with the o-ring on the emergency tiller cover.

Jim, with Shamrock, you've never had to replace the packing in the rudder post?  If not, I'll focus elsewhere.
Craig S.
s/v 2nd Chapter
Hull #1675, 2004 mk2, M35bc, Tall Rig
Vancouver, BC

Jim Hardesty

QuoteJim, with Shamrock, you've never had to replace the packing in the rudder post?

Never.  Only did the very small adjustment previously mentioned.  Think the only time it could leak is hard under motor.  But don't know for sure.  Someplace here people have used koolaid? I use washable magic marker to track down where leaks are coming from.  Make a line below where water is suspect coming from, line will be broken by water flow.  Any water coming in should freely flow to the bilge, not to the cabin sole.
Don't think it's a common item to replace.  I would make very sure that's it leaking quite a bit before I'd do much to it.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Craig : Not to sure about a MKII hull, but a MKI hull the rudder packing gland is not under water unless you are motoring!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788