Deck Organizer

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

The sheave in the deck organizer for Surprise's mainsail halyard broke under load.  The bolt was "frozen", and so in addition to copious quantities of  WD40, I used an impact tool with the appropriate bit.  Although the bolt did turn through a few revolutions, it is still stuck & the head of the bolt is now buggered.

I am looking for suggestions on how to get the bolt out.

Thanks,

Vic & Judy Suben
Surprise
Hull NO. 453

Capt Gus

I had a stud (double-threaded bolt) sieze in my exhaust manifold when I replaced the exhaust riser.  Based on the location of your problem, you might not want to do this, but I heated the stud a couple of times with a propane torch and let it cool.  Then I soaked it with Liquid Wrench.  I clamped the vise grips on it and out it came.  WD 40 had not done the trick for me.  Good luck.

Donna & Doug

I had the same problem. I couldn't even budge it with liquid wrench and an impact screw driver.

I then loaded it with more liquid wrench and left it for about 2 weeks then tried it again with the impact screwdriver and it worked.

Stu Jackson

Deck Organizer Bolts

Recent posting on organizers:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=182609972&r=812604482#812604482

I recommend that you replace the screws with bolts.  Should be availble from Garhauer.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

After many years of using WD40 for everything, a wise old car mechanic told me this.  The WD in WD40 stands for Water Displacing, WD40 is designed to displace water. It was not designed as a penetrating oil.  PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc. are what you want to use to loosen fasteners. Last car repair I did, I tried PB on one manifold bolt, WD40 on the other.  I was suprised how much easier the PB bolt was.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA