Question ruder shaft

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger Dieske

.. one question: the rudder shaft runs between the rudder and the hull. There is a nylon(?) ring on this shaft between the hull and the rudder.

can someone tell me what the function of this wrestling is?

is the rudder shaft completely stainless steel?

Holger
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Holger Dieske

... Ring! not Wrestling! I mean.

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Holger

The nylon is a spacer/thrust washer. It lubricates the meeting surfaces of the rudder and hull when there's upward thrust (the rudder being buoyant if it's not waterlogged (at least on the C30 it's buoyant.)

I don't know what the top of the rudder post is like on the mk-1.5 but on my 30 with the exposed emergency tiller cap next to the lazerette there's also a thrust washer under the cap to take downward thrust.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Holger Dieske

... thx! ah, okay- I understand this.

Holger