pin for window

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i can't seem to post the picture here since it's too big for the site, but I'm looking for a picture/measurements of the silver pin that connects the screw with white knob (catalina 1986) for the opening port , starboard side, vberth.  i have a cotter pin in and that's fine but i'd like to get an actual pin and i don't want to hammer against the rest of the windows since the hanging part, with the pin, is plastic and i don't want to break anything.  thank you

-becki in detroit
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on August 08, 2021, 02:15:13 PM
i can't seem to post the picture here since it's too big for the site, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posting and RESIZING Photos 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html

I don't have a knob anymore because I replaced most all of them with the newer cams.  But my understanding of how it's built is that the knob or the cam screws into a T piece that goes into the plastic, like this photo, so I don't quite understand your question.  Yes, a photo would help, so I linked to a how to do it for you.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Perhaps she is looking for the roll pin? It is part of the replacement handle sold by Defender, and Beckson. Unfortunately cutoff at bottom of photo.

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

anaisdog

no but what i'm looking for is that pin, in the picture.  and i was blanking on the Beckson name too.  duh on me!

Noah

Becky—that pin is called a roll pin. It come with the handle. Or, you can usually find at a good hardware store, or buy a assortment of sizes (to last you ten lifetimes) cheaply on Amazon. It is a common item. Make sure you get stainless steel.
Standard Rig

anaisdog

do you have the size though?  thanks!

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on August 09, 2021, 04:19:25 PM
do you have the size though?  thanks!

becki, take the white knob with the screw with you to the hardware store.  That assures it will fit.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Nope! Sorry. Hence, either buy the handle part/kit from Defender, or take what you have to a hardware store, or buy a kit full of many sizes on Amazon. Nothing is easy to replace on a 30-year-old boat.
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Becki : You might look at a bolt (unthreaded portion) of the correct diameter and cut off a chunk the length of the missing pin.  Round the edges with a file or grinder and you'll be back in business!!   :D

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

cotter pin works but it's not as pretty