Mystery involving the reverse polarity light

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

David,
A question.  Does this ever happen with the air conditioner off? 
On another track. When you get a chance enter your boat information in your signature.  See what others have done.  It helps getting the best answers. With the long production run of the 34's there were many changes.
Let us know when you resolve the problem.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

David Discenza

Well sports fans, I'm sure you're dying to find out the cause of my problem. Well, the source of the problem is (drum roll)..... the power source at the marina. How did I figure this out? Simple. When I arrived on Saturday morning, I turned on shore power and was greeted with a nice green light on my panel. The only things operating were the battery charger and an electric fan.  After an hour, I turned on the air conditioning. This ran fine for several hours. When I came back from dinner, the boat was dead. There were no lights on the panel. Taking my trusty multi-meter, I went searching for voltage on the shore receptacle. There was none. It had been operating fine all afternoon and, as soon as my back was turned (metaphorically speaking) the power crashed.

There is a second receptacle on the shore power box ( we don't have pylons at my end of the dock). I used my multi-meter and found it had a nice, steady supply of 120-volt current. I moved my shore power cord to that receptacle and it was still providing power when I left late this afternoon.  I've informed the marina that they have a problem and discovered that I'm not the only one with a dead receptacle. 

My hypothesis is that the voltage fluctuated on that receptacle and caused the master breaker to trip. It's not an issue of reverse polarity. It's one of a dying receptacle's last gasps.

I'd like to thank everyone who replied with your thoughtful suggestions. I have certainly gotten to know the electrical system of my boat better as a result.
CTYP12441293
"Irish Lady"

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Great you found the problem.  Good it isn't yours to fix.  Here's hoping the marina does their job today. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

David : I'm surprised at Worton Creek Marina as it used to be a # 1 Marina with a SUPER restaurant!!  First went there in May of 1989 !

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

David Discenza

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 13, 2021, 02:27:48 PM
David : I'm surprised at Worton Creek Marina as it used to be a # 1 Marina with a SUPER restaurant!!  First went there in May of 1989 !

A thought
Ron,
It still is in my book, although the restaurant has been closed for two years. They are slowly replacing the fixed docks with floating docks and new pylons. Our dock will be replaced over the winter along with all the electrical connections.
CTYP12441293
"Irish Lady"