Dog on Boat

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

My friends dog, a 20lb terrier mix, will no longer get on the boat after a couple tumbles down the companionway stairs.  Now he won't even walk down the finger pier to the boat.  I tried building a 1' wide carpeted ramp with his favorite treat in the boat but no joy.  I'm starting to think this dog just won't sail.  I can't just pick him up because he's a nipper.  Anyone have recommendations to train or a better breed of dog that can navigate our companionway stairs?

mregan

I had the same issue with my lab.  She was 6 by the time we got our first boat.  Just couldn't get comfortable on it, and we never even sailed with her.  Just the rocking, of the boat, at the dock was too much for her.  Couple people at my marina have dogs.  Ones a Yorkie.  Others look to be mutts.   I think the key is getting them on the boat when they are puppies.

lazybone

Seems the real issue is that the dog bites.   Fix that and everything should be fine.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Mark : You didn't say how old this dog is.  The older dogs seem to have hardened pads on their paws (which I found) makes them slide on the gelcoat surface - they don't like that!!
Seems your dog has had a bad experience and remembers it!!  Don't know what to tell you??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mark_53

Quote from: lazybone on June 13, 2021, 11:36:28 AM
Seems the real issue is that the dog bites.   Fix that and everything should be fine.
Yes, that's a big problem.  Not my dog so I haven't wanted to risk a bite.  Any advice on how to break that habit?

mark_53

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 13, 2021, 12:55:48 PM
Mark : You didn't say how old this dog is.  The older dogs seem to have hardened pads on their paws (which I found) makes them slide on the gelcoat surface - they don't like that!!
Ron, the dog is about 5 y/o and yes slippery gelcoat and and steep stairs do make easy access for dogs.

lazybone

Quote from: mark_53 on June 13, 2021, 01:50:09 PM
Quote from: lazybone on June 13, 2021, 11:36:28 AM
Yes, that's a big problem.  Not my dog so I haven't wanted to risk a bite.  Any advice on how to break that habit?
When the dog gets what it wants by biting it reinforces the behavior.    Just pick it up.   If it bites,  bite it back.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Steve_in_lex

FWIW, we used to have a Lab that was pretty normal in most ways but for some reason was incredibly anxious in a car.  Her anxiety never changed.  Just a thing.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Clenhart

Our miniature golden doodle (30 lbs) that is very at ease on the boat and walks around the deck like it's yard but does not take on the companion way steps on his own.  We use the handle on the back of his life jacket to help him up or down.  The wood has no traction and he slips also.  Same dog will jump from boat to boat and explore.
1991 Mk 1.5 Tall Rig Hull #1168