scrubbing diamond non-skid decking

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

Ken,

While you didn't actually say you had concerns about refinishing the deck with Interlux and additives, it sure seems like you're got reservations about the viability of the process.

If I felt, as you do, that my decks were unsafe (slippery) that's something I would have remedied right away and not allow that condition to remain just because the decks looked good. As your friend Neil points out the object of non-skid is safety, not aesthetics.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

Quote from: scgunner on May 28, 2021, 09:46:42 AM

about refinishing the deck with Interlux and additives, it sure seems like you're got reservations about the viability of the process.

Again, I never commented on the viability of painting "the deck" (only "non-skid.") 
I'm still unclear as to what you did.  The procedure dances around "painting the deck", "adding flattener," "interlux intergrip," "painting the non-skid" -- but I'm still unclear what was used on the non-skid vs. used on the deck.  I surmise that the same product was used everywhere, which IMO is improper (as you agreed - paint alone (no intergrip) can lessen the no-slip property.)

YBYC on whatever anyone wants to use but (so there's no misunderstanding about what may or may not have been inferred from prior replies) IMO:

Renewing non-skid w/ Interlux w/ a non-skid additive like intergrip (not just flattener to de-gloss it) OR ANY reliable non-skid product/method = no issue.

Renewing the deck w/ Interlux out of the can (or deglossed) = no issue (I addressed deck painting only to the point that I do not know that CTY painted any decks or non-skid.)

Covering non-skid by paint out of the can, even deglossed = not a good idea.

I have no opinion on painting the deck outside of the non-skid.

'nuff said, I no more of substance I can add to the merry-go-round.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on May 28, 2021, 12:16:33 PM

Again, I never commented on the viability of painting "the deck" (only "non-skid.")  ......................

I have no opinion on painting the deck outside of the non-skid.

Ken,

One of the peculiarities of the C34, at least the Mark I that I own, is that non-skid IS the deck:  non-skid is on top of the cabin, on the side decks and in the cockpit.  Mine is tan, others are grey.

The only really small stuff you mentioned earlier is on the coamings and cockpit seats.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : In my opinion painting the deck anti skid is just like varnishing the companion way steps!!  You might as well wear smooth leather soled "boat shoes"!   :shock:

As mentioned the deck of the C34 IS antiskid cockpit to the bow!!  So best be VERY careful what you are painting on the top side!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Stu

Thanks for the description. I chartered a MK-I and IIRC it's very similar to my mk-I (which I'd say is 80-90% n-s.)  Maybe semantics but I consider the non, n-s deck areas to be the (white gel coat) strips I have outside the (gray) n-s, strips around each area of n-s, and places like stanchion bases, along the toe, around the anchor locker cover, etc., that are all smooth gel coat.  And of course if I were painting, the coachroof sides. 
I wouldn't apply a n-s product on those (white) areas no more than I'd paint the gray n-s areas.

K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Dave DeAre

I had my 2002 MK2 detailed and polished by my boat yard. Hull and decks look like new. They used ROLL OFF on the non-skid. 

Technician recommended cleaning non-skid with STARBRITE non-skid deck cleaner, which claims to leave a non-slippery protective polymer coating.

Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

scgunner

Ken,

Since the title of the thread is "scrubbing diamond non-skid decking" the terms "deck" and "non-skid" have been used interchangeably, no one mentioned painting the white gelcoat deck borders. The only one who seems confused about that is you.

I'm not sure how you got "dances around painting the deck", if you review my reply #9, it's a fairly straightforward explanation of how and why to use Interlux and it's additives. It seems pretty clear by your posts that you disapprove of my method of refinishing the decks, which is fine, your boat, your choice, this is mine. I will say this finish is safe and has held up well for years, and appearance wise you can't tell it from the factory finish.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

To be crystal clear, folks this isn't about what anyone HAS already done to his/her boat.
It's about recommendations relative to what OTHERS may contemplate doing to their boats. 
Ron's recommendation is infinitely more succinct than I could ever be.