Pool of Epoxy below Transmission Coupling?

Previous topic - Next topic

SVTOMCRUISE

1990 CTYP1041K990 There appears to be a puddle of dried epoxy (with rotten wood underneath) just below the transmission. You can see it via the center panel in the aft cabin. Could this have been for the old stuffing box?

I am in the boatyard now learning all about my new boat and I did find a big pink square around the propeller thru hole - I have glasses that back in - but I bring this up as a potential related note in the area.

Should I just pull up the old epoxy and rotted wood? Doesn't seem to be doing anything and I could definitely sand clean to re-glass the whole area! Please help!!

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SVTOMCRUISE on April 12, 2021, 10:31:26 AM
1990 CTYP1041K990

1.  There appears to be a puddle of dried epoxy (with rotten wood underneath) just below the transmission. >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Could this have been for the old stuffing box?

2.  I am in the boatyard now learning all about my new boat and I did find a big pink square around the propeller thru hole - I have glasses that back in - but I bring this up as a potential related note in the area.

3.  Should I just pull up the old epoxy and rotted wood? Doesn't seem to be doing anything and I could definitely sand clean to re-glass the whole area! Please help!!

1.  My guess is the PO had a dripping box and decided to seal the opening under the engine bed/fiberglass pan to stop water getting to the bilge.  Why he did that is beyond reason.

2.  Without a photo,, I don't understand the physical situation you are describing.

3.   I'd do some careful forensic evaluation in a limited, very limited, area before ripping it all out.  Does it extend back to where the strut bolts into the hull?  Because of the proximity to the strut, I'd be very cautious.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SVTOMCRUISE

Hi Stu!

I posted photos above but to describe it, the epoxy "puddle" is probably 6" x 2 feet - completely below the transmission. It's right against where I would expect a bilge hole to be.

SVTOMCRUISE

Also, it really appears rotten at all the edges of the puddle.

SVTOMCRUISE

Ok! It all came up in one piece - it wasn't doing anything at all. Came up like a dinner plate and seeing the bilge hole behind. Drilled that out so now I have a functional bilge tube from the aft propeller compartment.

My guess, is that the saltwater from the stuffing box was corroding the engine so the PO (would have been two or three owners ago) filled that hole.

Going to do a dripless stuffing box now so hopefully that goes away and if there really is saltwater then it won't linger (?). Maybe cover that area now with Somme gel coat?

Any additional thoughts on what to look out for or suggestions on how to bring this area back up to snuff? It is just dirty now.

Noah

Clean, sand/scuff, wipe with acetone, then paint with two coats of Interlux bilgecoat.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

SVTOMCRUISE