docking video

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Sailors,

Saw this Catalina docking and thought I'd share.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dxEG05lDU

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Very impressive, albeit a bit scary "hot" for my more fearful docking style! Hard to judge that fine line between having enough speed for steerage and the risk of catastrophic crashing.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

dig it!  I love how manouverarable a fin keel sailboat is.  The motion is VERY predictable.  I also am curious if that boat has a max prop thus making power on backing up a more predictable/controllable project.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on April 10, 2021, 11:05:31 AM
dig it!  I love how manouverarable a fin keel sailboat is.  The motion is VERY predictable.  I also am curious if that boat has a max prop thus making power on backing up a more predictable/controllable project.

My fixed 3 blade (i.e., bucket) does that all the time.  No moving parts underwater.  OK, so I'm just a luddite.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

I will admit that I am often distracted by bright, shinny and expensive boat hardware at the expense of it's practical benefit :-)
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

lazybone

I'd be impressed if he was holding an umbrella drink.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

scgunner

Well he can sure drive a sailboat a helluva lot better than I can. Since it was at some distance it was hard to see what he was actually doing, a running commentary or a close up of what he was doing, or both would be better. The only thing I learned from this video is this guy can really handle a big boat in close quarters.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Steve_in_lex

In all seriousness, I'd be interested in suggestions regarding prop wash.  I have a MK II with a 2-blade folding propeller, and it tends to pull in exactly the wrong direction when I back off the dock from a stop position: stern going to stbd., which points the bow to shallow water to port.  In an open setting, I can get enough speed going backward to be able to steer properly, but not from a standing start.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Jim Hardesty

QuoteIn all seriousness, I'd be interested in suggestions regarding prop wash.  I have a MK II with a 2-blade folding propeller, and it tends to pull in exactly the wrong direction when I back off the dock from a stop position: stern going to stbd., which points the bow to shallow water to port.  In an open setting, I can get enough speed going backward to be able to steer properly, but not from a standing start

Steve,
The thing about prop walk is that it's always the same, plan for it.  Only get prop walk when boat is in gear.  I've found short burst of power, then neutral, repeat.  Practice.  Also walking the boat back, possibly with a line, till it's nearly out of the slip gives less room for problems.  I mostly single hand and do that when I may have problems.
Hope that helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : I agree with Stu, a fixed 3 bladed is very predictable. 

This guy was fortunate that there wasn't any cross wind on that long fairway!!  I've even had a slip mate that would stand on the other side of the wheel and be looking ahead (AFT) to backing up steering that way!!

A thought   
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Steve,

That was also my point, there was no "how to" in this video, just a guy doing a really awesome job of singling a boat into a tight spot. I got as much from this video as I would sitting in a bar overlooking the marina watching a guy park his boat.

Another thing, I watched this video a few times and I was thinking, wouldn't be easier to go in bow first, it's very tight either way and I don't see the advantage of backing in, bow first everything's in front of you, stern first you're looking over your shoulder.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

sitting in a bar overlooking the marina watching a guy park his boat.

the advantage of backing in,

Some things are just for enjoyment, 'eh?  Besides some of us don't have a bar overlooking the marina. :rolling

To point how he wanted to, backing in was the way to do it. :thumb:
Especially for leaving some point down the road.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain