Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traveller Sheave / Pulley  (Read 154 times)

Graham

• Forum - Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
Traveller Sheave / Pulley
« on: April 06, 2021, 02:00:22 PM »

Looking for one sheave / pulley wheel for my 1997 C34 MkII.  Can be seized, donít mind as will be replacing ball-bearings.  Dimensions of sheave are 1 3/4 inch dia, 5/8 inch wide and 5/16 inch hole / bore.  So if you have recently replaced traveller and have a sheave / pulley that you donít want, will pay what you want plus postage.
Graham
C34 Mk II #1376 Smooth Jazz
Chichester, West Sussex, UK

waughoo

• Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller Sheave / Pulley
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 04:18:12 PM »

Suggest you call Garhauer.  They arent terribly expensive and they can make sure you get the right load charecteristic for your application.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

• C34IA - Secretary
  • Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 04:30:12 PM »

Alex, he's in the UK.  Might be easier to try other means of contact than phone, but I recall Garhauer was always better at talking than electronic contact.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 07:40:22 PM »

Oops... jumped the gun without looking at the signature.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Belafonte

Ted Pounds

• Forum - Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 05:13:53 AM »

Alex, he's in the UK.  Might be easier to try other means of contact than phone, but I recall Garhauer was always better at talking than electronic contact.

In this age of VOIP I think calling is dirt cheap.  Only real issue is adjusting for the time difference...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 11:02:09 AM »

Thanks all, I did contact Garhauer (the manufacturer of my traveller) but they do not stock the sheaves I was after as they are at least 24 years old and now obsolete. Barton do a similar size diameter and width but slightly smaller bore.  So am getting them and will drill the bore out to 5/16 inch.  By the way I have found Garhauer really helpful over the years and in my experience they produce first class products delivered with first class service - great company.  Again thanks to all who responded.
Graham

waughoo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 11:08:08 AM »

Glad to hear you got it sorted.  From what I understand Garhauer also does custom work too.  When exploring new deck organizers, they offered to have me send in what I had and they would make a triple with the same screw offset so I wouldn't have to re drill the deck.  As it turns out I went with one of their stock units and did re drill the deck, but I certainly filed that option away for the future.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Belafonte

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 12:17:15 PM »

Thanks Alex, the sheaves I was after were those for the traveller carriage not the end blocks to the traveller.

On your issue of the end blocks, I have two triple blocks and all six sheaves had seized.  I am told that the reason they seize is salt and lubicating oil (should not use WD40 or normal lubes) as they jam the ball bearings.   The jammed ball-bearings then wear down on one side and make indents in the housing.

I tried to get replacement sheaves, but could not find them; they are a slightly different size to those on the carriage 1 3/4" diameter, 5/8" wide with a bore of 3/8".  So I bought some Delrin (Acetal) 3/16" plastic ball-bearings; Torlon are better, but I could not find them at a reasonable price in the UK.  Took off blocks with the help of PB Blaster, took out sheaves and popped-out the old ball-bearings.  That will leave the outer ring and central core loose.   

Degreased, cleaned and sanded-back the housing (both outer ring and core); worth spending a bit of time to get them clean and smooth.  Then got two ice-cream sticks to raise the outer housing to line-up the ball-bearing tracks, placed all ball bearings for one side on the track and then used a flexible piece of plastic (indian take-away box lid) to cover all the ball-bearings and gently squeased them back into the track.  You need to use a flexible piece of plastic to cover them all otherwise the balls will pop out.  Turned the sheave over and inserted ball bearings on the other side.  Gave the new ball-bearings a few drops of "McLube One Drop" (what should be used to lubricate plastic ball-bearings) and assembled back together.  While you are at it, might as well replace the cam-cleats (Harken standard size -Height: 30mm - Width: 32mm) and replace securing bolts (UNF 10/32 x 1 1/2") and use a bit of Loctite Threadlocker - it also protects against corrosion.

Took me 4 hours to do and is much cheaper than getting an upgrade.  Hope you find this useful.
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up