Genaker

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 09, 2021, 04:47:07 PM
That extra surface was just what the old style rudder needed - especially No more incontrollable rounding up when beating.    :thumb:

Interestingly, I still have that old school rudder and raced extensively on San Francisco Bay and never had any "incontrollable" round ups.  I don't know who experiences those.  I have sailed on a Mark I boat that did install the newer rudder, and agree it's a great improvement.  But if you're beating to weather and are "incontrollable" you got other problems and issues than your rudder.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

In my experience with the OEM rudder, easing the traveller and reefing the mainsail solves much of the problem.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 09, 2021, 04:47:07 PM
That extra surface was just what the old style rudder needed - especially No more incontrollable rounding up when beating.   

Ron,

I have the wing keel and origonal shaped rudder on my 91.  Is this rounding up a thing?  My boat is new to me and i havent sailed it yet (all been refit work thus far).
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte