Wanted - Cruising Spinnaker

Previous topic - Next topic

Vicky Canuso

I have a 1997 standard rig C34 that I'm looking to purchase a cruising spinnaker for.  I thought that a member might be selling their spinnaker. We would like to find one in like new condition with a dousing sock.  Our Phone # is 631-653-9548.

alastairjames

Vicky

You might be lucky, but I think anyone with a good cruising spinaker would want to hang on to it.  After sailing with a normal spinaker for many years, wrestling spinaker poles on a heaving foredeck, our cruising kite is a delight to use.  Definitely worth the investment in a new one if you can't find second-hand.

AnitaM

Hello Vicky:
You are in luck. I have just the sail for you. We purchassd our 1987 C34 5 yrs ago. It came equipped with a cruising spinnaker which had never been used. Being new at sailing  ourselves, it remained in its bag for almost five yrs. We've tried to sell it at our marina this summer but so far no takers. We can discusson the phone other details. I shall be in touch in the next day or so. We sail on Lake Erie and live just outside of Cleveland.
Anita on Rio Blues

Vicky Canuso

Anita,
  I'm looking forward to talking to you about your spinnaker you have for sale. Please give me a call when you get a chance. 631-653-9548 or 8180
  Thank you,  Vicky

hdevera

Anita,

If Vicky decides not to purchase your spinnaker, let me know.  I might be interested.

Hal

mogline

Anita,
If Hal and Vicky don't buy your chute let me know.  We sail out of Sandusky - plan on adding a cruse chute for next year.  E mail mogline@neo.rr.com

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

For folks interested in a chute, you have several options besides a new sail.  A Google search of net will provide numerous hits for used sails--also check the classified ads in any sailing magazine (Good Old Boat is a great place to start).

Exact dimensions aren't critical unless you're racing and you want the largest chute practical.  One other thing to consider is that a conventional, symmetric chute can be flown "assymetrically."  We fly a symetric chute using an ATN tacker (size B) like an asymmetric when cruising.  We simply run the pole downhaul forward through one of the anchor rollers and then up to the tacker.  Occasionally, we dispense with the tacker all together and simply use the downhaul as an adjustable tack line.  Works like a champ.  

If you have limited experience with a spinnaker, try it--especially if you own one but haven't experimented with it.  Also convinced after much racing that a proper hoist and douse is more efficient than a sock, which adds equipment (i.e., potential failures) and causes chafe aloft.  

Your first time out, ensure you have enough sea room to hoist, sail and douse on one long tack.  To fly a chute as an assymetric, all you need is some type of tack line, a halyard and one sheet (a second sheet is only required if you'll have to gybe the sail, i.e., use it on multiple tacks).  The simplest way to rig a tack line is to run it through a spare anchor roller and cleat it off to one of the bow cleats.  Tie either the tack or one of the clews (symetric chute) to the tack line.  Tie the other clew to the sheet and run it aft outboard of all rigging, life lines etc.  If you have spinnaker sheet blocks aft of the winches, great, otherwise just run the sheet to the leeward winch.  

When it's time to hoist, douse or furl the headsail and fall off to a broad reach.  Once the main is eased and trimmed, it will act as a windbreak for the chute as it goes up.  Once you're ready to hoist, it's best to have someone pulling the halyard like crazy at the mast, while another tails in the cockpit.  As soon as the halyard is "made," it's time to trim and the sail should fill.  

Now you can experiment.  When a chute is trimmed properly, there should be a slight curve at the top of the luff.  Like any sail, this isn't a "set it and forget it" operation, but requires attention.  There are all kinds of techniques for trimming, but the only advice I'll provide is that a Cat 34 has a big chute and some winch muscle is required.  

To douse, you need to fall off (again to blanket as much of the chute as practical) and blow the sheet and tack while gathering up the sail on deck.  If the foredeck coordinates with the cockpit, the cockpit can control the halyard drop, to avoid putting the chute in the water.  

After some experience, you'll probably consider rigging spinnaker sheet blocks, a "tweeker" (an adjustable sheet with a block that pulls the sheet down below the boom) and some sort of adjustable tack control.  This will improve sail control.

A spinnker is defintely work, but it's the ultimate off wind sailing tool.  There has been lots of good articles written about flying a chute--and I can only recommend that you study as much as you can.  And one last piece of advice--spinnakers are expensive and easy to rip!  Before you fly one, check around your foredeck for obvious snags--the usual culprits are exposed cotter pins, bent cotter rings and stantions.  Replace bad hardware and use wrapping tape liberally (it's cheaper than having rips sown).  

Best of Luck,

Mike Vaccaro
"Spirit" '88 Hull 563