stove lid

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikN

I just joined the group, now that we have a new (to us) 1986 C34. We've been doing lots of upgrades, but I'm stuck on one simple problem: how to lift the lid of the propane stove, in order to clean under and around it. There is a clip on each side of the lid, but pushing these doesn't seem to disengage the lid and allow it to lift. Am I missing something stupid? The stove is a Seaward model #2174-2001.
Erik Noonburg, Seattle WA
#53 1986, SR/FK, M25, "Callooh! Callay!"

KWKloeber

Erik welcome. I'm not sure my stove Seaward model # but it's an '84 C30. Maybe the 34 had a different Seaward.
Are you talking about lifting the grate or the stainless top?

My top just lifts (hinged at the rear) nothing holding it down 'cept gravity.
You're not referring to the clips on the gimbals by chance?

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Erik,
Welcome to the group.  Suggest you add information to your signature.  Just follow what others have done.
Just happen to have the manual handy, don't see any clips, think Ken is correct that you are looking at the gimbals.  Mine isn't the exact number as yours, but this may help
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon W

Welcome to the group.

Like Ken said there's a hinge on the outboard side of the stove the lid rotates on. If you pull up on the inboard side of the lid it should open and rotate about that hinge. No pipes/tubes/hoses/wires to disconnect before opening. However, my lid is sometimes hard to open. I'm pretty sure there's a thin metal tab on each side of the stove that applies pressure to the side of the lid at the inboard end. Take a small screwdriver/knife blade to move the tab away from the lid, and the lid should open and rotate freely. You'll find there's lots of suttle variation on these boats, so your stove may be slightly different. Good luck.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Erik : Don't know if you have a 2 or 3 burner stove both are the same type top.  Just remove the top off 2 burners (wear gloves maybe sharp edges!!) and lift up the front and it hinged in the back.  Hope this helps

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ErikN

I appreciate all the suggestions! It looks like the "clips" are in fact just the tabs that keep the stove top from moving side to side. It also looks like there are pins (with white spacers[?] in the attached photo) on which the lid should rotate up. There is nowhere to grip the inboard edge of the top to lift it--I made a hook that fits down the side (inside the gimballed frame) and catches the top from the side. Unfortunately, it won't budge. I may just have to work on it a bit. The stove works beautifully otherwise, so I'd rather not break anything.

KWKloeber

Erik

I know the type you have but mine is different, it has the more individual grates  not the flat top grate.  And I can't seem to locate the exploded parts diagram for your type.
But from the pic - and I can't tell for sure - are the trim rings around the burners separate from (sitting on top of) the stove top?  It appears like they might be (by the gunk around the outside rolled edge of the rings.)
If I'm reading that correctly I think the screws on the burner bases might be holding down the top.  If I'm correct the burner bases are fastened down underneath the top, and the top screwed down to those. Of course all that is just a guess about the 2174 model. Mine is like the 2175.

If that's off-mark, give Sure Marine a call and ask for the Seaward stove expert. I can't recall his name and I don't have it here in my contacts, but he's a good guy and will help you. 800.562.7797
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

Ken beat me to it. Your burners are different than mine. I see two screws on either side of each burner that I don't have. Have you tried removing those to see if they are keeping the lid from opening?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

ErikN

That did the trick--the screws were holding the top down. I was afraid if I pulled those screws the innards of the burners would drop under the hood. We've already replaced the traveller, heater, and hot water heater. Hopefully we can keep the stove going for a while. Thanks again.

KWKloeber

Erik

Great!  The guy at Sure is Todd Glenn todd@suremarine.com if you need any other help.

FYI, there are virtually no parts left for Seaward stoves but anything there is, Sure has 'em.

-ken

Jon W

They also have a helpful troubleshooting guide on their website. My oven wouldn't stay lit. I used their guide to identify the problem. Called them up, ordered a rebuilt part, and paid a core charge. Got the new part, sent them my old part and got the core charge back. Great experience.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Craig Illman

Erik - Sure Marine in Ballard are very good, helpful folks. Stop by there sometime when you're down in Seattle.

Craig

glennd3

Erik how is the new traveler working?

Quote from: ErikN on January 09, 2021, 04:48:39 PM
That did the trick--the screws were holding the top down. I was afraid if I pulled those screws the innards of the burners would drop under the hood. We've already replaced the traveller, heater, and hot water heater. Hopefully we can keep the stove going for a while. Thanks again.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : Guess most of us have never seen that model Seaward stove.  Regardless, most of the stainless parts are stamped stainless parts with sharp edges so have some gloves when you try to pull things apart!   Good Luck

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

ErikN

The new traveler is great. I purchased the Garhauer through Catalina Direct, with a slightly modified hole pattern and fairleads. I'm looking into adding a page to the tech wiki, with all the upgrades we've completed.