Replacing/relocating holding tank

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

Hello all and happy new year!

I've decided to remove the holding tank, it's the original tank that is now 28 years old and has permeated so boat doesn't smell that great.

I really don't like the location of the holding tank, it is in a prime location for easy accessible storage, so I removed the thru hulls and glassed them over. New tank will sit in the narrow locker between the head and chart table. To me that's such a useless space, so narrow and deep that it's hard to use. I can fit a 30 gallon tank in there, all I have to do is build a shelve for it to sit on. The discharge thru hull will be right below it in the same locker which is another advantage, no need to remove cushions and pull the board up just to the to the valve to discharge.

Any input?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Seems reasonable to me.  I too agree the port hanging locker is a bit of a quandry as far as efficient use of space.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Patches

I agree with the holding tank removal--frees up lots of useful space.  Hanging locker relocation seems reasonable, though the constraint will be the width of the door.

I replaced/relocated my water heater and put it low in that hanging locker.  It meant choosing one of the 12" diameter cylinder-type water heaters (Isotherm Slimline or Quick--I went with a Quick).  For a base, I bolted some 1/4" aluminum "L" bracket (available at Ace or Home-Boys) to both sides of the locker down low, and spanned it with some 3/4" plywood which I then bolted to the "L" bracket.   30 gallons is going to weigh a lot more than my 4 gallon water heater, so you may have to upsize appropriately.  You might glass in a platform instead.  The challenge is working though that narrow door opening to reach outboard/underneath to glass in the platform.

After thinking it through, I'm leaning toward an Airhead composting once I convince myself that charter guests will use it properly.  Planning on that for my 2021 offseason upgrade.  Like you, I think removing the holding tank from its present location really helps with storage.

Good luck, and would love to see your finished project.

Patches

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on January 02, 2021, 07:32:10 PM
Seems reasonable to me.  I too agree the port hanging locker is a bit of a quandry as far as efficient use of space.

Not really.  As far "back" as 1998, many of us installed shelves on rollers in that space.

https://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/shelves.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

LogoFreak

I have seen the pull out shelves before and have considered it, even considered installing pull out fridge drawers in that location. However I still lean towards placing the holding tank there, it is right next to the head so the hose is much shorter as well. The opening is 12" with the frame in place and 14" if the frame was removed. I've found several tanks that would fit in that space, anywhere from 25 to 35 gallons.

At the end of the day it's all a preference and there's many way to skin a cat 🤣
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

I use that locker For dry hanging storage as it has a bunch of electronics in there. Including autopilot computer (not but rate compass), 2000W inverter, wifi and NEMA hub and Halatron fire extinguisher.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

I'm moving a lot of my electronics to what used to be the aft cabin hanging locker, again of those spaces that I find pointless as it's hard to access and I ever use. All the electronics related to my raymarine EV-200 system will be there, including the mount for the linear drive.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

I preferred to have my "stuff" close to the main distribution panel and batteries.
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

If you have an autopilot, one way or another power must travel there, no?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

Not questioning where you put your autopilot stuff. I do have some double pairs of wires running aft same as I have wires also running to cockpit instruments and elsewhere. However, I endeavor to keep all control boxes, chargers, inverter, etc. as close to my main distribution panel and batteries as possible. Just my preference. And. of course my autopilot rate compass is in its own metal-free space, down low and close to centerline.
Standard Rig

glennd3

Logo where are you sailing? Are you planning to set the tank up for pumping out or just discharging thru the thru hull?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Jim Hardesty

QuoteNew tank will sit in the narrow locker between the head and chart table. To me that's such a useless space, so narrow and deep that it's hard to use. I can fit a 30 gallon tank in there, all I have to do is build a shelve for it to sit on.

The way I see it your tank would be somewhat higher than the original and higher than the toilet.  Is that a problem?  Not saying it is, playing devils advocate.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : My hanging locker is just that - a place for wet WX gear, jackets, boots & wet suit etc.  I mounted some electronics way back toward the hull.
Early on I remounted that hanging bar up a couple of inches so things could hang.  To dry out the wet gear I hang it in the head on the eye nuts from the outside overhead winch!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

I think he raised his toilet too.

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on January 03, 2021, 01:51:15 PM
QuoteNew tank will sit in the narrow locker between the head and chart table. To me that's such a useless space, so narrow and deep that it's hard to use. I can fit a 30 gallon tank in there, all I have to do is build a shelve for it to sit on.

The way I see it your tank would be somewhat higher than the original and higher than the toilet.  Is that a problem?  Not saying it is, playing devils advocate.
Jim
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

MarcZ

I can see a few downsides of this solution

- potentially 250 lb  with center of mass  moved aft up and outboard 
- custom made tank required
- tank vent has real potential to become a discharge hose when heeling
- re-route pumpout hose and relocate fitting on the deck
- hose from head would need to make a couple of interesting turns in tight space
- convenient access to the side of the electrical panel compartment (for running wires) blocked permanently.
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake