anyone know what the wood slat on the side of the cabin interior are made out of

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

on another site someone was asking that question.  I refinished mine on the port side, but I really am not sure of what the wood is.  maybe a cedar?
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Randy

H&L used to be the supplier to CTY.  See the item on the bottom right.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Don't know for sure, I've not had them off or had a reason to find out.  My somewhat limited knowledge of wood leads me to think Shamrock is ash.  Same as Stu said.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

captran

Thanks all.  that makes sense, especially for the info on the catalogue.  The site is a facebook DIY which is really interesting to watch all the different projects.  interesting that they say its ash glued onto plywood.  I thought it was quite thin, as i refinished the wood and pulled off the inner window frame.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

ewengstrom

Randy, I can confirm the slats are definitely Ash.
I pulled the whole interior apart this past winter and wasn't able to come up with enough Ash to make all four panels so I went with clear Douglas Fir and stained it. Very happy with the results!!!
The photos show the old and new standing next to each other.
I did glue the individual slats to 1/4" plywood so they are a wee bit thicker, but now that they are installed,  you can't tell.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Randy : It is ash batten strips and I got from H&L. 

I covered the dark plastic sliders in the salon with that ash batten strips.  makes it much lighter down below.  I wrote an Mainsheet tech note article w/pictures. Just used contact cement over the sliders. Easily done!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788