Below deck autopilot install

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

Yes it is now separate. Change my plans as it was easier and cheaper to do it as a standalone piece.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

ChrisOB

That actually looks pretty similar to my thru-bolted bronze Edson arm (which was about $400).  I ended up installing my shelf/mount aft of the fuel tank and the tiller facing the port quarter/stern.  My RAM arm (Raymarine type 1 linear drive) was too long to fit perfectly athwartships.  The pilot motor doesn't care what orientation it is to the rudder post, so long as you are square 90 degrees at mid throw and +/- a degree or 2 vertically. Noah was a big help, and I still have lots of pics of the install and shelf build, feel free to PM me.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

LogoFreak

That is likely the way I will mount mine.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Tiller arm is done, now just need to start assembling things. I still need to paint the bottom so it's gonna be a couple of weeks before rudder gets re installed, but here's a pic of the arm on the rudder stock.

Also, for those of you that were concerned about how strong the arm needs to be, think about this... the weakest point in the arm is the mounts at the back of the linear drive, there's maybe 1/8in of aluminum holding the thru pin at the back end of it...
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Small update. Test fitting the rudder with the radial drive and tiller for the AP.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Thanks for the uodate!! I was thinking about the project just the other day wondering how you've been making progress.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

It's been a slow go, had a week off at the beginning of the project but that was back in September lol. Since then I've been super busy at work and only able to do things on the weekend, and because I'm doing a lot of glassing/fairing/sanding I can only do it when it's not raining, and that's hard to get when you live in Vancouver lol.

Was ready to do a lot more today but now the temp dropped down to 4ºC and epoxy doesn't like it. Which is why I was able to spend time figuring out the rudder.

It's been depressing not being able to splash the boat, but I'm a lot closer than further as a friend of mine says :D
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

LogoFreak

Thanks Glenn! I don't like doing something twice so I strive to do it well the first time around.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Does anyone know why the cables for the steering are so crudely terminated? U bolt cable clamps and electrical tape hardly seems like a good solution. I've been contemplating to have a rigging shop swage on threaded fittings at the end of the steering cables. Other than having to measure very exactly the length they need to be am I overseeing a very clear reason why it's not done that way?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Stu Jackson

My understanding is so that they can be adjusted relatively easily by loosening the clamps.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

I doubt you could pass a swaged eye down the pedestal and around/through the idler pulleys.

Craig

waughoo

Quote from: Craig Illman on January 25, 2021, 09:40:29 AM
I doubt you could pass a swaged eye down the pedestal and around/through the idler pulleys.

Craig

Perhaps not an eye, but a threaded end maybe.  It might be a question of how much space is needed for the cable to ride on the radial/quadrant that dictates the cable clamps.  I have wondered the same about how crude that double clamp system looks.  I suppose it works and is VERY field servicable in the event a repair needs to be made.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Spent a few minutes on the computer designing a top bearing for the rudder, this design will get rid of the up/down play and also take the side to side play as well as increasing the sidewall area on which the rudder shaft rides on. Will post pictures of the top bearing when I get it back from machine shop. It will be made out of delrin.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179