How Much water do you sail with

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

I fill both starboard and aft tanks. I filter the water into the tanks, and have a Brita filter on the end of the galley faucet. The water tastes fine, and so do the ice cubes. If you use/cycle the water system regularly you won't have an issue with a sulphur smell from the hot water heater.

Various experienced cruisers told me to add some Vodka into the water tanks to keep them safe. Don't know how true that is, but I've been doing it for a few years and have not had any water treatment issues. It's a small amount so you don't even know it's in there. Personally I feel much better adding a little Vodka, then adding bleach to the fresh water system.

FYI - I replaced all of the fresh water system hoses and valves shortly after I purchased the boat.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Buddy Gold

add some Vodka into the water tanks

Finally some sound advice
1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

scgunner

If you're going to add Vodka to the tanks why not add some cranberry juice while your at it!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

captran

I have a 1997 and thought it said the bow and stern tank were each 25 gallons.  We only use the boat for cruising 2 months each summer, so we fill both tanks and alternate usage of tanks so we have a better sense of when we need to be someplace that has water.  Seems to me you would want to experiment as to which tank you leave empty if you are mostly day sailing, based on trim and sailing characteristics and weight of equipment distribution.  First mate prefers bottled water for drinking, but I don't think it's that noticeable.  And even though I keep a new spare water pump, I have never needed to replace it (and used it 2 months x 19 years), so I don't think you need to be concerned about wearing one out.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa