Looking for CNG tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldlaxer1

If anyone is considering switching or has switched from CNG to LPG and are interested in selling their CNG tank, please let me know. I'm in the market for a second tank and am having no success finding one.
Thanks in advance. I'm in the Baltimore area but would be willing to travel a reasonable distance for pickup.
John
443-831-3573
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

scgunner

John,

I'm still using CNG and carry an extra tank, as I recall I just went to the fuel dock where I exchange my tanks and asked the guy what he wanted for a tank, I believe I paid $150 for it.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Oldlaxer1

John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

scgunner

John,

Well I wouldn't recommend my fuel dock since it's 3000 miles away from you. I'd start at where ever you exchange tanks normally.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

John

Are you looking for a new tank ($$$)  - I see them available.  If you haven't, I'd check check w/ a local large industrial gas/welding gas supplier.  The one I have used locally said they could get just about whatever tank I wanted and also could do the pressure test/certification of a used tank.o  They were also able to get me a good supply of helium (for testing) in the midst of the great national helium reserve shortage.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

TortolaTim

Ok, where are you guys getting your tanks filled? I'm in NE Florida now and haven't found anyone who has CNG down here yet. Detroit and Miami are the only suppliers I've found.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

scgunner

Tim,

Check the fuel docks in your local marinas, boating is huge in Florida there's gotta be a lot of them. I'd look for a place that exchanges tanks, like they do with propane, if you do find a place that just does refills then you'll be responsible for the hydrostatic test every 5 years. If you can find a place that does exchanges then it's somebody else's problem.

Catalina007

We are going to remove our GSI CNG stove which is in very good shape.
Not interested in trying to convert it to propane.
Do they have any value other than a trip to the town dump? 

scgunner

Catalina007,

There's always Ebay, it's gotta be worth something. What are you going to replace it with?

Catalina007

I saw one on Craigslist a while back for $100 with two tanks. dont see anything on ebay or CL now
This boat will be mostly day tripping and a couple of weekend overnites. Short cruises. Dont need to bake cookies
or roast a turkey. Will use the space for a new cabinet and some type of propane or alcohol  camp style 2 burner stove top.
That plus the rail mount propane bbq is enough. 

waughoo

Shoot... i just gave away two CNG tanks that came with a stove i bought to retrofit to LPG.  I didn't care to find someone willing to pay for them.  I just wanted to clear the space.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Catalina007

Quote from: waughoo on December 14, 2020, 10:07:55 AM
Shoot... i just gave away two CNG tanks that came with a stove i bought to retrofit to LPG.  I didn't care to find someone willing to pay for them.  I just wanted to clear the space.
Well arent you the generous one!  :clap
I gave away the tank.  It was full and hadn't been certified since 1999 

waughoo

One of the two tanks I had was full (according to the person I bought the stove and tanks from).  I will say that the valves used for the oven (thermostats), have a $200 core charge at Sure Marine Service.  In talking to them, they also said that the oven doors are worth something assuming they are in good shape. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

John : Give a call to Faucets in Annapolis and see if they know of a customer that's changing out CNG to propane??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788