Exhaust Riser

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Vaccaro

Mahendra,

Yup--you are correct.  I'm referring to the nuts that secure the exhaust flange...they require periodic re-torquing.

Cheers,

Vac
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Ron Hill

Mah : In 5000hrs I NEVER re torqued those nuts and used the regular nuts and lock washers !! 
Just make sure that you use a good lock washer or you could also use an all metallic self locking nut. 
Ron, Apache #788

SeaFever

I was able to remove the existing exhaust riser and bring it home to dismantle and clean. Attached are a few pictures of the same before and after cleaning. The riser and gooseneck with nipple looks real good. Maybe some welding required on the downward leg.

I am thinking I could use this one rather than making a completely new one with Schedule 40 SS pipe fittings as mentioned above. It either is the original Pearson make or a custom one made by PO from Bronze. I could either get a few spots welded on the downward leg or just have someone de-weld and replace the downward leg.

What do you guys think?

Regards.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Stu Jackson

I like your "T" fitting a lot more for the nipple.  That way you can (more) easily replace it when, not if, the time comes.  A one piece pipe is more difficult to orient and install.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SeaFever

Stu,

Yes, however, in that case I will have to make the whole new riser. Whereas here I could use this riser by making minor repairs/modifications. I like the good quality of the metal here. It looks like new after 30 years of operation! Then again the cost of the new riser may not be more than $100. So it does make sense to make the new riser from SS fittings if that one will last as long... I still have 50+ years to live... :D

BTW, where can I get the 'wire re-enforced' hose that goes from the riser to the muffler? I have read about the hump hose from Catalina. Even if I was to use the hump hose on the muffler side, I will still need a short piece, maybe 6" or so of the wire re-enforced hose. I could use a high end Napa Gold radiator hose, but I don't think that is wire re-enforced.

Regards.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Stu Jackson

Sea Power, Kennedy Street, Oakland, right before the Park Street Bridge.  Now maybe called the Outboard Motor Shop.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mah : The only reason for the hump hose is to take up the engine vibration that is transmitted thru the stainless riser. 
I don't know what your exhaust set up looks like or the riser diameter, but if there is vibration and you are concerned about the inlet to the muffler cracking/fatiguing - then use a hump hose.  The hump hoses that come from the Catalina are 1 5/8" ID and are about 8 to 9" long.  You could easily trim it down to 6 ".   
A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788