Engine hose specificaitions

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 26, 2020, 02:27:44 PM
Geo : Have you looked at exhaust hose? Shields makes some that is wire reinforced with an ID of 1 1/8".

A thought
Ron - good thought - thanks.  I've been doing more digging.  Catalina Direct shows the hose I need for a M-25 being 7/8" ID and 7" long.  They do not list the part for the M-35. When I called Catalina Direct, they tolf me the hose is 1 1/8" ID.   I got in touch with Westerbeke and they say (backed up by a technical diagram) that I need 7/8" ID and 8" long.  So appears contrary to what tech support at Catalina Direct has told me.  Seeing if I can source some 7/8" ID hose locally...although I would not have believed it is 7/8" ID since the OD is about 1 1/2".  Once I get this solved, I'll contribute a wiki article on the subject...
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Ron Hill

Geo : In case you can't find it locally, I see that Shields make an exhaust (wire reinforced) hose in 7/8" ID - OD is 1 3/16".

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Geo : It may be a long shot, but you might try a auto parts store. See it they just might happen to have a pre formed 7/8" ID hose with a 90 degree bend??

I found one for my old M25XP engine that way - in an auto parts store!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Geoffreykwright on August 25, 2020, 12:39:51 PM

Another view of the hose in question...

I TOLD you -- but I will restate it (w/ homework included.)

There is a break in engine serial numbers -- earlier Bs take a DIFFERENT exhaust manifold hose than later Bs.  i HAVE BEEN thru this with a customer who ended up ordering both versions because the date/serial numbers for each version hose are apparently a little fuzzy when it comes to the real world of engine dates. 

One was a FORMED hose, the other was just a plain ol' hose. 
It DEPENDS on whether you have the SMALLER or LARGER thermostat cap.

Homework from parts manual I said to refer to:
p/n 200428 /  HOSE,THERMOSTAT TO MANIFOLD / To March 1998  / 21.60
p/n 15774   /  HOSE 1-1/8 WIRE INSERTED sold per inch  /  From March 1998    /  1.50

Folks talking about coolant and post seawater pump hoses on their A engines don't pertain to B engines.  (Virtually) the only thing that As and Bs have in common, is the convoluted wiring scheme/harness (except on Ron's XPB of course.) 

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain