charging rates/amounts

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

Rarely have internet but a quick question re: charging rates per battery bank.  Had an unusual battery bank changing rate we didn't notice until we docked today.  Normally the batteries after a few hours of motoring are roughly charging at the same rate.  We have trojan T105's in combination yielding about 210 amps per battery bank.  today, at start up, both batteries were at 12.45 volts, and the link 20 says amp hours were -33.3 and .35.9 after two days on the hook.  after 2 1/2 hours of motoring, we pulled in to the dock and I looked at the link 20 before hooking up to power and # 1 was showing -14.6 amps and # 2 was full, 00.    usually they charge together and close to the same rate, within an amp hour or two.  We have a combiner which shows a red light when it's on, and now charged the batteries and #1 is full after 1/2 hour and they are within 3 amp hours after an hour and a half.

The last time we motored 4 hours, both banks were blinking full at the same time.  I checked the batteries.  all the cells are 12.75 or above, checked the nuts on everything at the battery box and all tight.  is there anything else to check?  I know I could just watch it the next time we motor and monitor the amps being charged at the link.   maybe it's a non issue, but just found it unusual.  any ideas appreciated. 
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ron Hill

Randy : What are your hydrometer checks showing?  When was the last time you equalized them?

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

captran

Thanks for your thoughts Ron.   
hydrometers are all 12.75 or above.  last equalized at the end of last years cruising season, then disconnect neg all off season, rechecked hydrometer at start up this year and all 12.75 or above.   but I'll go ahead an equalize overnight.  just seemed off, as usually they stay close to equal Ah on the link after a few hours.

checked with a new hydrometer.  most were 12.75 or a little above, one cell on one battery in bank 2  and 2 cells on the other battery in bank 2 were 13, the rest were all 12.75 or between 12.75 and 13.  I have now pushed the equalize hole (must be a button in there somewhere), on the True Charge 40+.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa