Rust stains on gel coat & non-skid

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

I have a 1987 Catalina 34.  I was cleaning the teak handrails with steel wool, and stupidly did not clean up ALL  the steel shavings.  Needless to say, with the next rain, the steel shavings rusted.

No I am faced with getting rid of the rust stains.  Please let me have some suggestions on methods to get rid of the rust stains.

Thanks for your help.

Vic Suben
C34  Hull no. 453
Surprise
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

Agree with Stu's suggestion. Look it up as Davis Instruments FSR. FSR stands for Fiberglass Stain Remover
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

You could try CLR.
Or oxalic acid (paint Dept) which I THINK is the base of the FSR gel.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Or my favorite "Bar Keepers Friend"  I like the original powder.  For rust I make a paste and let sit a bit.
www.barkeepersfriend.com

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Vic,

I'm also on the FSR train or lemon juice also works quite well.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Mick Laver

A "4th" for FSR. The stuff is magic.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

captran

I'm not on my boat yet so would need to check for sure the manufacturer of what I think is called On Off.  it is for fiberglass rust stains.  put it on for a very short period of time and wash it off, as it is very strong.  I bought it many years ago and have used it sparingly for rust spots that don't respond to FSR.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Stu Jackson

Quote from: captran on July 02, 2020, 08:49:53 PM
>>>>>>
is called On Off.  it is for fiberglass rust stains.  put it on for a very short period of time and wash it off, as it is very strong.  I bought it many years ago and have used it sparingly for rust spots that don't respond to FSR.

It IS VERY strong.  I used some once, and immediately threw the rest away.  It is too dangerous to use.

Just leave the FSR on longer, or do multiple applications.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

I had never heard of "On/Off" before so I looked it up. Apparently it is pretty dang strong! West Marine sells it but you can't buy it online in CA. Here is a review from a user on West Marine's website:

"It WORKS. It's DANGEROUS".
"I used it on a brand new boat that sat in the water for over a month due to Covid 19. This stuff clears off, slime growth.. you name it. However, It is dangerous. I did the underside while on a floaty I used Full armed gloves, eye protection and mask. It rolled down my arm and melted my skin off. I have zero epidermis in 2x2" area on my arm. Need plastic surgery to repair by skin graft. Watch Breaking Bad and how this stuff can dispose of bodies. Be very careful. Boat is sparkling clean so it's hard to argue with its effectiveness. My brand new $700k boat is like new again."

OUCH!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Vic : Oxalic acid does the trick - either Bar Keepers Friend (cheaper and in the grocery store) or Fiberglass Stain Remover (Marine store and more expensive)   Your choice!!  :D

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

I did the same thing with sos pads, never again,  or if you leave a wrench or any metal on the deck for any length of time and get that rust spot, get "wink" comes in a brown bottle , walmart or wherever, amazing stuff, rust disappears before your eyes
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands