Sealing Mast Partners

Previous topic - Next topic

Patches

I have purchased some new flexible "mast tape/wrap" to replace the more rigid "boot" which seals the opening where the mast penetrates the deck at the partners.  As designed, rainwater is able to follow the continuous sail slot below deck and leak on the floor boards below.  At least on my boat, the rain doesn't follow the sail slot all the way to the bilge.  It wicks about 1-2" aft of the underside of the partners and then plops on the floorboards.

The more ideal solution would be to use a Spartite-type product to pour in the gap between the partners and the mast to seal the area from water intrusion.  But with a mast boot or the wrap I'm going to use, you're left with plugging the sail slot above deck where it meets the boot or tape or it will leak during every rain.

I'm trying not to overthink this.  But I'm wondering if there are preferred ways of plugging the sail slot above the boot/wrap to eliminate the leaks?

As always, thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Patches 

KWKloeber

Why not just roll some butyl tape and force/firm it into the track at the boot top?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Patches : Besides Butyl rubber, you could just fill the track (by the tape) with silicone caulk!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kyle Ewing

I dealt with this today.  After replacing my mast boot it leaked pretty bad.  I filled the gap with wax from two toilet bowl wax rings.  I then wrapped everything with Gorilla white patch & seal tape then put the mast boot over everything.  It passed the hose test.  Will see how long it lasts.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Phil Spicer

Put in some silicone over 20 years ago. Still working. Also seal the top of the boot
With silicone tape. Only get water down the inside of mast.
My mast is pulled every year so always reseal with new tape each year, but have never redone the dab of silicone. No mast up storage in the yard I use. Rig can relax , 6 months on, 6 months off.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Jon W

I also use silicone to fill the sail slide and seal to the mast boot. Works great. I buy the small squeeze tube size which makes it easier to get in the tight spaces.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Bill Shreeves

ditto on the dab of silicone in the slot and a wee bit around the boot/mast joint.  Been fine for two years now.  Had the mast pulled last fall.  First time since I bought her 4 years ago.  Will slide a new boot on it instead of the split boot that I put on two years ago when I commission her.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Patches

Many thanks to the brain trust!  I thought I might be overthinking this and appreciate the simple solutions recommended.

Patches