Sail slide grommet

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Hansen

Purchased a nearly new main sail at Bacon Sails in Annapolis last year at end of the season. Was told to attach the sail slides with 1/2 inch tubular webbing due to the full batten arrangement. Went to SailRite tutorials and proceeded without too much difficulty. The grommets were already installed, so it was just a matter of stitching which proceeded straightforward. My question has to do with the grommet closest to the headboard. How far can the highest grommet be from the headboard?. mine is around 25 inches (grommets came with the sail that way). The SailRite tutorial started from scratch and discussed installing the grommets starting an inch or so below the head board and proceeding from there. I'd like to get the sail on and try it out, meanwhile purchasing the grommet kit waiting another week or so. Any thoughts on flying the main with this arrangement.
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Ron Hill

Steve : I believe that you are going to get a bunch of "flopping around" of that section of sail with 25" of no sail slide.  If you could get at least one slide and cut that distance in half (2 would be better) - I'll guess that you might be OK?
That part of the sail is hard to trim and get a telltale to stand straight out anyway.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Steve

My first call is typical to whomever did whatever work I'm wondering about -- I believe if they are decent to deal with they would have some experience with why they do whatever I'm questioning? 
Or they might say it's a screw up --
Or receive a "Huh? -{and that in itself is be a clue of the quality/experience.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain