Anchoring in Georgia

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

So this is not strictly Cat 34 territory but I hope someone in this region has some input. We are on the ICW northbound in Georgia and aware of the new anchoring rules enacted in January.  The question is are the rules being enforced, by whom and is there any meaningful penalty?  The rules as written severely limit our options. We are currently no where near any structures that trigger the 1000' zone but tomorrow is another day.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Stu Jackson

Dietrich,

You may get more info on this particular question over at www.cruisersforum.com

Good luck,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Dietrick : Look in the Notice to Mariners (USCG) for Georgia.  It should give the definitive regulation and restrictions!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

While sitting in an unquestionably legal anchorage surrounded by grass, I should say that the rules are clear and I have found a chart detailing exactly where we are allowed to drop the hook.  And I did check Cruisers Forum and found little but that is a great idea.  That said, since we entered Georgia a week ago no one has mentioned the new rules or seemingly acted on them.   We spent six nights at Cumberland Island National Seashore, with as many as 20 boats anchored illegally.  I just wonder if the rules are being ignored statewide.   We will be out of this lovely grassland in a couple of days anyway and we can muddle along.   Thanks.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Ken Krawford

After much public outcry, the Georgia legislature is currently working on HB833 which will hopefully remove some of the ridiculous rules set for in the initial bill.  HB833 in its present form can be found at http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20192020/HB/833.  It has not been voted into law yet as far as I know.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

dfloeter

Thanks Ken.  The new version when enacted will be a reasonable piece of legislation form the way I read it.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Hugh17

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 17, 2020, 01:02:11 PM
Dietrick : Look in the Notice to Mariners (USCG) for Georgia.  It should give the definitive regulation and restrictions!!

A thought

Go to Save Georgia's Anchorages https://www.facebook.com/groups/SaveGeorgiasAnchorages/ on Facebook for the latest info on the anchoring situation in GA. The current law/regulations, HB201, are 1000' from a private dock and 300' from a marina. However, we have been working hard over the past year to repeal and replace this anchoring law. HB833 will establish a uniform 300' setback for anchoring near private docks or marinas with some time limit caveats. HB833 was negotiated with GA's DNR commissioner in mid-Feb, and passed the House just before the legislative session was suspended due to Covid19 concerns.

The legislative session will resume in mid-June and we are hopeful that the bill will be taken up by the Senate where it is virtually assured of passage and the Governor supports the bill and will sign it into law immediately upon passage. We have hired a lobbyist and he will be on the floor working the bill through committees as soon as the legislative session begins.

As far as the current HB201 and the 1000' setbacks other than 300' setbacks from marinas, enforcement is complaint driven meaning that GA DNR does not have the available resources to patrol waters looking for violators. Just stay away from private homeowners docks and you should not have a problem. If anyone has additional questions reply to this thread or message me directly.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25