Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Composting head  (Read 163 times)

Patches

• Forum - Seaman
    • View Profile
Composting head
« on: February 11, 2020, 09:08:50 AM »

I know the conversion has been done by some C-34 owners.  The entire area where I sail--Puget Sound and San Juan Islands--is a no-discharge zone.  Pump-out stations are not ubiquitous, and I don't enjoy the process.  My OEM holding tank has limited capacity (a few days when I'm cruising) and the space it takes up could be better used for other things.  For every unit of waste liquid I manually flush, I've got to be adding at at least 5-6 units of salt water to sit in that tank and sail it around until I find a pump-out.

Who has made the conversion?  Are you happy with the decision?

Who has thought about it and decided against it, and why?

I'm close to pulling the trigger, but wanted to check with our learned members first.

Thanks as always,

Patches

Jim Hardesty

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Composting head
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 09:37:34 AM »

Here's some reading

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/composting-head-solids-disposal-at-marinas-229529.html

Hope it helps, FWIW think there is more there using the search feature
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:26:53 PM by Jim Hardesty »
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 02:37:24 PM »

Patches : I looked into a composting head a few years back. 
The problem I found (back then) was there wasn't enough space in a C34 head compartment for a composting head.  Maybe now they might have smaller units??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Steve McGill

• Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 02:44:11 PM »

Patches,

Storage and disposal of liquids also needs to be considered.

It's always something.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Patches

• Forum - Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:43:26 AM »

Thanks for the early responses.

By way of background, this is part of a general makeover for my galley/nav locker/head area.  I'm just finishing installing a new single bowl sink, new countertop, new faucet with pull-out sprayer and a "whole house" carbon filter for the freshwater system.  To do this, I removed the OEM water heater and temporarily bypassed the engine hoses to it.  When I put in the new water heater, I am probably going to go with an Isotemp "slimline" mounted in the bottom of the Nav locker.  If I go to a composting head, it is relatively easy to run the engine hoses along the pathway of the discontinued waste hose from the head back out under the cabin sole and up though the engine compartment.

While pump-outs usually require travel to a marina or fuel dock, liquid waste can be disposed at any number of marine parks with pit toilets.  The liquid waste is what tends to fill the tank.  So, it makes sense to me to at least try a composting toilet.

As Ron mentions, the head compartment on our C-34s is not optimized for a conversion to a composting head. I'm leaning toward a "C-Head" which comes in  (1) corner, (2) wedged, and (3) shorty configurations.  The latter two models utilize a 3 vs. 5 gallon bucket for solids.  I think any of them would work by building a platform out of Starboard and extending it over the shower floor to accept the extended footprint of the head.  Sandy--the owner of C-Head-- says the difference in the two bucket sizes is really more of a visual vs. capacity difference.  In other words, you tend to really use a little less than 3 gallons for solids but it is that much closer to the rim than a 5 gallon.

I know of a C-34 which sold locally within the last year that had a Nature's Head. That has the largest footprint of the 3 major brands.  There is also a C-34 in Mexico for sale on Yachtworld which shows a Nature's Head in place.

The overwhelming majority of those who have converted, whether in an RV or on a boat, seem happy with the change.  I wanted to see if anyone on our forum had firsthand experience.  The downside doesn't seem too bad, as it would put me out of pocket about $700 and a few hours of boat yoga if I don't like it and end up switching back.

Patches
Pages: [1]   Go Up