stored bow down

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

QuoteGuys: You should always keep a picture of that page onboard to show the yard - so they know where to position the lifting straps!!

That works.  Before lift out I put 10 inch long pieces of blue painters tape on the toe-rail where the lift straps should go.  Four places fore aft starboard and port.  It's pretty dummy proof.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ted Pounds

I've seen boats with small "SLING" decals on the toerails. Never worried about it on mine because I stored it on jack stands.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

anaisdog

wow!  see, i just got the cradle back from the yard who was illegally keeping it so I didn't even look in that part of the manual!  thank you very much. i will scan that page and include your write up and email them!

Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

KWKloeber

Becki
Sorry for the delay, I didn't see the pix. the c34 is not mailing me updated posts correctly and I haven't been able to fix it and webmaster hasn't responded to "help"!

I can't readily see a drastic problem in what the pix show...., but they aren't that "descriptive."

FWIW my front pads (c30) are totally on the bottom paint, not on the gel coat. I don't know about how the 34 sits????
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/photo/63662/0?p=Created,,,50,1,0,0

Do you recall if the keel had heavier blocking under it in the past?  A 6x6 or RR tie for example?

It looks to me like she might not be positioned correctly fore-aft?  It's really hard to say/see - do u have any old pix that tell a story?

I wouldn't correct anything myself-because it's then your liability. But do put them on written notice, certified mail,  and cc: your insurance. But also do anything you reasonably can do to prevent or minimize damage ( it's your responsibility to do so if you know of a problem.)  document that to your insurance and cc the yard, certified mail.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

Ken, i never had the cradle.  well, i did but only for one store.  the rest of the time it was illegally held by westport marina in canada.

the yard said they are fixing it and i sent them the drawing of the cradle which i didn't realize i had, again, because i never thought to look for it since i never had the cradle all these years.

what i didn't take a picture of was the over 1 inch thick sheet of ice in the cockpit
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

KWKloeber

Cool, sounds like you're on the mend.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Becki,
Sounds like you found your cradle drawing and so I don't need to find mine, may have been in my owners manual.
Hope it all works out for you, you have done everything you could.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : We have published owners manuals here on line. I don't believe that the cradle design change for the MkI Hulls 1986 thru 1994!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788