oil hose kit?

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

The yard is working on cleaning up my engine before putting it back in its home.  they pulled the oil pan off to check it for cracks/leaks and painting.  the said i need a new oil hose kit.  i believe they're referring to the hose under the engine that connects to the banjo bolt and has crush washers on either side.

the place they normally get universal parts said the "kit" is an obsolete part, but they were looking around for something.  while i was there today, i talked to the yard manager.  he suggested it might be easier for me to source the parts myself as their guy doesn't seem to be too reliable anymore.

so having said that, can someone supply a list of parts i would need to order and perhaps where i might be able to get them online?  i checked CD, but they don't seem to have anything even remotely related (or i missed it).
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

KWKloeber

MD

The yard guy and/or both the supplier are, technically speaking, full of crap.

The oil drain kit for the XP is p/n 200373.  That's the drain bolt/banjo/washers/hose/plug
The crush washer is p/n 17038.
Unless the hose and/or banjo are bad, all you need is two crush washers. $10
If the hose is bad you could get a local hydraulic shop to duplicate it. $15?
At last resort, you could replace the whole shebang. $140 

The parts can be ordered direct from Westerbeke.com, or your regional distributor is HansenMarine.com in MA.
Hansen is VERY good. 
Or here's your local dealers:  http://hansenmarine.com/our-dealers/new-jersey/

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mdidomenico

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 14, 2019, 02:59:15 PM

the yard i trust, their suppliers, not so much.

The oil drain kit for the XP is p/n 200373.  That's the drain bolt/banjo/washers/hose/plug

the crush washer doesn't seem to show up when i put it into westerbeke's website

KWKloeber

Oops
p/n 030290 - I have no clue from where I copied the other number!! :cry4`

Fact of the matter is, anyone who works on Westerbeke diesels who's worth any salt would know where to look up the part - and see if it's available - and order it for his customer.  :shock:

Just by the way also - all the parts manuals are in the c34 techwiki site (<Manuals>) so if you need anything else it's easy to verify if it's a good part or NLA. Typically the NLA parts are the Kubota ones - the Wb add-ons are typically available.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

lazybone

Quote from: mdidomenico on September 14, 2019, 03:56:58 PM

the yard i trust, their suppliers, not so much.

the crush washer doesn't seem to show up when i put it into westerbeke's website

Copper oil pan washers are common and available at any auto parts store.  In a pinch you can anneal your used/worked hardened ones.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

mdidomenico

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 14, 2019, 07:57:17 PM
Oops
p/n 030290 - I have no clue from where I copied the other number!! :cry4`
Just by the way also - all the parts manuals are in the c34 techwiki site (<Manuals>) so if you need anything else it's easy to verify if it's a good part or NLA. Typically the NLA parts are the Kubota ones - the Wb add-ons are typically available.

thanks.  i saw the manuals there, but I wasn't entirely sure what i needed to order.  what was really helpful is finding out that you can order directly from westerbeke and see what i'm ordering on their website.  I didn't know about that.

I can't explain why there's a discrepancy between me, the yard, and their suppliers.  The yard has a good rep and the mechanic that does the engines is pretty knowledgeable and a good guy, not one of those fly by night types just looking for a payday.  and given that i have another $6k of work in the pipeline, screwing me over now over $140 part would seem a bad business decision.  if i find out more i'll report back just as an fyi...

Ron Hill

MDID : If you look in the Mainsheet tech notes you'll find an article that I wrote on this very subject. 
You have all the metal parts and if only the hose in cracked (as happened to me) I just replaced the old cracked "oil" hose with a new piece of fuel hose and it worked just fine!  Don't waste your $$ on a expensive Kit!!   :clap

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mdidomenico

thanks i'll look for the article

the hose is most certainly dry rotted, along with all the other hoses i have to replace, so that's not surprising.  but it looks like the major contributor is rust.  the banjo bolt and washers seem to have rusted thoroughly.  likely because the engine sat idle for many years.

i agree the cost of the kit does seem high, but if it'll last another 30 yrs and i don't have to worry about the oil failing out the engine, it's probably money well spent.  the engine is one place where i'm not shy about spending a little extra money.  $10k for a new engine is not in the budget by any stretch.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 15, 2019, 01:19:51 PM
MDID : If you look in the Mainsheet tech notes you'll find an article that I wrote on this very subject.  >>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ron, it wasn't a tech note, it was in Projects:

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-replaceing-oil-change-hose.html

I found it using the Knowledgebase.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mdid : If that part on the oil pan is rusted it is NOT from age, but rather the raw water pump had been leaking and water went down to that fixture and corroded it!  Remove it from the oil pan and see if it is salvageable?

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Good timing on this topic, I just noticed the beginnings of a drip from the oil pan drain area. I can't tell from the manual diagram, but looks like when you remove the bolt tightening the banjo fitting, you may loosen the sump drain plug so a sump drain plug gasket PN 300612 may also be needed. Does that sound right to those folks that have done this?

Ron, thanks for the advice on replacing the OEM hose kit with fuel hose, brass fittings, and hose clamps.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon

Not necessarily - one could surely put a wrench (or wench) on the drain plug to keep it from turning while unscrewing the banjo bolt. 
But is there any reason to not change the gasket when changing crush washers?  Maybe THAT'S your leak source.

-k

Jon W

Thanks for the response Ken, I think that's the right way to go. I will replace all three during oil change. The local diesel shop has 12mm but out of the 22mm copper crush washers until next week. Hopefully the parts manual has the right thread sizes called out since the shop doesn't have the Universal/Westerbeke PN's.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Jon : Why do you think that a crush metal washer that has been on there for years is suddenly going to leak? 

My first suspicion would be the attached rubber covered fabric hose!!

A thought  :?
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on September 26, 2019, 01:02:15 PM

Hopefully the parts manual has the right thread sizes called out since the shop doesn't have the Universal/Westerbeke PN's.

Jon, why not drain the oil beforehand and take the parts w/u?  And have one of those happy hour margaritas while you're there?

-k