Defective Oil Filter?

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

I did an oil change when I first splashed in this season.  I just noticed a couple of 'dots' on the diaper under the engine - barley noticeable.  When I run my hand under the oil filter, there seems to be a very slight film of oil where the filter connects to the engine.  there was not leak detectable when I installed the new filter.  I'm not overly concerned with oil levels dropping too much since the leakage is barely noticeable - only a few drops over the course of the season (to date).

Could the filter be defective?  Should I be concerned?  Should I install a new filter?

Thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II, Hull 1494
Engine M35B
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Jeff Kaplan

Geoff,  If you just hand tightened the oil filter from the start, you might want to put a filter wrench on it and just snug it up a bit, not too tight, just a little turn. Also, before installing the filter, did you put a little oil on the o-ring? If the filter was defective, it would be spewing oil. Filters are cheap, so if you need, replace it, lube the o-ring, hand tighten, then just a little snug with filter strap or wrench. I used to rep Fram and Baldwin filters, I use Baldwin now.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: Jeff Kaplan on August 07, 2020, 07:14:16 AM
Geoff,  If you just hand tightened the oil filter from the start, you might want to put a filter wrench on it and just snug it up a bit, not too tight, just a little turn. Also, before installing the filter, did you put a little oil on the o-ring? If the filter was defective, it would be spewing oil. Filters are cheap, so if you need, replace it, lube the o-ring, hand tighten, then just a little snug with filter strap or wrench. I used to rep Fram and Baldwin filters, I use Baldwin now.
Jeff - thanks.  Not my first oil change and did all of the above.  Hand tight then tiny turn with the wrench.  Wiped some oil on the O-Ring.  Ran the engine for a bit after change and bone dry.  Tiny film of oil now.  Can't recall (off hand) make of filter - but might be Westerbeke. 

DO I need to be concerned?  Should I replace filter (only got maybe 8 hours on this one)?  I'm not losing a material amount of oil - just a few drops according to the diaper under the engine.

Thoughts?
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Ron Hill

Goe : Another thing that I do when changing the oil filter is that I clean off and inspect the smooth ring on the engine that the filter mates to. Do that so just incase some crud might have gotten on to it while spinning the filter off. 

Filters are cheap - just install a new one if the leak still appears to come from the filter!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

Geoff,  if there is just a small film forming on the bottom of the filter, leave it alone, change next season, but keep  a close eye on things. Check what Ron mentioned as to the area on the engine that the filter seats on. Even if there was a pin hole in the filter, it would be weeping more than just a film. I think its coming from the gasket, cheap enough just to remove and replace the filter. BTW, not implying at all that you are a newbe at filter changes, just looking at the obvious causes first. Good luck.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jon W

Are you sure it's coming from the oil filter?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: Jon W on August 07, 2020, 03:00:49 PM
Are you sure it's coming from the oil filter?
Jon - just on the underside of where the filter connects to the engine.  Assumed it was coming from there.  Feels like oil.  Where else might it be coming from?
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Noah

What about your oil drain hose end fitting?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: Jeff Kaplan on August 07, 2020, 02:40:31 PM
Geoff,  if there is just a small film forming on the bottom of the filter, leave it alone, change next season, but keep  a close eye on things. Check what Ron mentioned as to the area on the engine that the filter seats on. Even if there was a pin hole in the filter, it would be weeping more than just a film. I think its coming from the gasket, cheap enough just to remove and replace the filter. BTW, not implying at all that you are a newbe at filter changes, just looking at the obvious causes first. Good luck.
Thanks Jeff Kaplan - just want to make sure I'm taking care of my girl as well (or as close to) as I am taking care of the Admiral...just found it odd a bit of "film" on the bottom of the filter.  tiny bit.  viscous.  but can't guarantee its oil...but if its not oil, no idea what it is....
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Jon W

Like a roof leak, sometimes the leak isn't where the drip is. Check around the breather hose, and the head cover (valve cover) gasket.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Oil in our engines turns black after a very short time running. If it is an oil leak it should show-up a a black stain, pretty unmistakable, on a white diaper under the engine. Caveat: I am NOT a mechanic.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Goe : I noted that you change your oil in the the spring.  I've always put my engine "to bed for the winter" with clean oil and a new filter.  I've even have run an oil change in the travel lift slip while waiting for the yard to pick up the boat.  Oil's warm - why not?

A different philosophy?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Geoff

Where is the crankcase vent hose run to - the air intake I presume?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on August 09, 2020, 04:56:51 PM
Like a roof leak, sometimes the leak isn't where the drip is. Check around the breather hose, and the head cover (valve cover) gasket.

Quote from: KWKloeber on August 15, 2020, 12:59:08 PM
Geoff

That would be the first place I'd look.  If it's not routed to the air intake, the hose drop is right behind (aft of) the oil filter.  The alternator sucks air from right that spot.

Good luck playing detective.  We all know what that's like.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: KWKloeber on August 15, 2020, 12:59:08 PM
Geoff

Yep - right to the air intake (air filter).  The problem does not seem to be getting worse...more detective work needed...

Thanks for all your advice.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA