Replace Cruisair Air Conditioner

Previous topic - Next topic

Rortega46

I have been adding R-22 ~ annually to the a/c for the last couple years.  The a/c is a Taylor Made/Cruiseair Model FX-16P, a 16k btu split system (compressor and 2 condensers) which is likely original to my 2001 C34.  Last year I paid a marine air conditioning guy $800 to charge and troubleshoot the problem.  He believes there is a slow leak near the condenser in the rear berth, which is a real problem to access.  His assessment is it will take 10-15 hrs to repair, about the same hrs as replacement.   

My questions are:
* Has anyone successfully repaired a freon leak on a Cruiseair 16k split-system?
* Has anyone replaced their entire Cruiseair 16k split-system?
* If so when, what brand and model # did you go with? 
* Did you do the install yourself or pay a marine a/c guy?
* Did you go with another split-system or a self-contained system(s)?  My a/c tech likes the idea of 2 self-contained 7k btu systems since it would be difficult to run 4"-6" duct fore and aft from a unit in the cockpit locker. 

I can find nothing about replacing the a/c on a MKII after searching the Message Board and Tech Wiki. 
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI have been adding R-22~ annually to the a/c for the last couple years.

That implies you have the tools and knowledge to recharge the system yourself.  Why not at next recharge use R-22 with dye and look for the leak yourself?  It may take a few days or more to show.  If nothing else it may show what needs fixed/replaced.
I know this doesn't answer your direct question.  Just wanted to suggest what I would do.  I installed an a/c unit under the v-berth with ducting to the aft berth, does take a while to cool the aft cabin.  Not a problem for me.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Rortega46

Jim: 

Thanks for the reply.  I paid an a/c tech $800 to find a leak.  It is behind the aft berth and very difficult to access.  The labor to repair is about the same as would be required to replace the 20 year old system.  I may ultimately decide to repair but I am looking into replacement options, methods and cost.  I am getting quotes to replace the existing system with a similar 16k btu split-system, and alternatively with two 7k btu self-contained systems.

With all the knowledge of those on this forum, and considering all the info it has on C34 system upgrades, I am surprised there is little to nothing on a/c replacement.  I am sure it's been done many times.  Our boats are getting older and a/c and heat is a requirement where we sail.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

ChrisOB

Hi Randy- I recently installed A/C, didn't have before so not a replacement. I went with the 16k webasto and it is performing well. I am also in new orleans and it was great this summer. If you want to take a look I am Andromeda in front of NOYC or message me.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

glennd3

S/V Yat? What is Yat? just curious. Not is the scrabble dictionary.

Quote from: Rortega46 on December 31, 2021, 02:34:56 PM
Jim: 

Thanks for the reply.  I paid an a/c tech $800 to find a leak.  It is behind the aft berth and very difficult to access.  The labor to repair is about the same as would be required to replace the 20 year old system.  I may ultimately decide to repair but I am looking into replacement options, methods and cost.  I am getting quotes to replace the existing system with a similar 16k btu split-system, and alternatively with two 7k btu self-contained systems.

With all the knowledge of those on this forum, and considering all the info it has on C34 system upgrades, I am surprised there is little to nothing on a/c replacement.  I am sure it's been done many times.  Our boats are getting older and a/c and heat is a requirement where we sail.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Rortega46

Yat is what some locally are affectionately called.  It is derived from the familiar greeting, i.e.  Where you at, which essentially means hello. Often when I pull into a local dock or marina someone will understand the name and yell, "hey yat, you from da parish?", which is many yats originated.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

glennd3

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the reply, I like the name, it works! On a note about AC you may find that with the newer units you may only need 12k. I wanted to put in a 16k and the AC guy recommended 12k because the units have improved over the years and a 16k would cycle too often and not reduce humidity in the air. We have a lot of heat and humidity on the Chesapeake. I went with the 12k and have been satisfied. I installed in my hanging locker behind the nav station. I have vents in quarter birth, head, main salon and v birth. I am happy with location, maybe only drawback would be  the fan noise when it is on high and seated in the salon. When in the births with the doors closed it is not noticeable. I posted pictures in another thread showing details.https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10151.msg78034.html#msg78034

Quote from: Rortega46 on January 28, 2022, 07:35:31 AM
Yat is what some locally are affectionately called.  It is derived from the familiar greeting, i.e.  Where you at, which essentially means hello. Often when I pull into a local dock or marina someone will understand the name and yell, "hey yat, you from da parish?", which is many yats originated.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland