Albemarle Loop Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Krawford

We are meeting some friends later this month on their C42 in Oriental NC and planning on spending a week doing the Albemarle Loop. For those not familiar, there are (currently) 9 marinas in small towns in North Carolina that offer free dockage for 48 hrs. along this area of Albemarle Sound.
For those who have done this trip, I'm looking for advice or suggestions especially as it relates to "must see" stops or place that were disappointing. Any other feedback is most appreciated.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

AT Phillips

I've attached a cruising guide for the NC coastal waters.  The guide is pretty good, but it was put together back in 2009.  Should give you a good idea how to head north from Oriental.  v/r Adam
Adam Phillips
1991 Catalina C34
"Rising Sun" Hull #1115, M-35
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Ken : Where are you coming from?
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

Î heard glorious things about Edenton,  but not been.   I was in Elizabeth City a week ago and i'm in Manteo now.   I stayed at Pelican in EC rather than the town dock. Both are rustic.   Manteo Waterfront Marina is plenty nice for its but i'm in a reservation slip not a free one because i wanted power,  water and showers.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ken Krawford

Thanks for the guide Adam.  Much appreciated.  We're leaving this coming Monday and will be departing from Oriental NC.  So far the plan is to spend a night at Ocracoke and Mateo heading north to the sound and then on to Edenton and Albemarle Plantation.  We're considering taking the Alligator River Canal on the trip back south.
Ken Krawford

Hugh17

Quote from: Ken Krawford on June 10, 2019, 03:57:38 AM
We are meeting some friends later this month on their C42 in Oriental NC and planning on spending a week doing the Albemarle Loop. For those not familiar, there are (currently) 9 marinas in small towns in North Carolina that offer free dockage for 48 hrs. along this area of Albemarle Sound.
For those who have done this trip, I'm looking for advice or suggestions especially as it relates to "must see" stops or place that were disappointing. Any other feedback is most appreciated.

Ken,

I publish a guide ICW Free Docks which list all the known free or almost free docks on the Atlantic ICW. Of course I list the Albemarle Loop Free Docks as they are the benchmark for communities looking for ways to increase cruiser traffic. My guide is completely free and 100% available online at www.ICWFreeDocks.com and also include a full map version. The guide is organized by statute mile of (or off of) the AICW and by state. I encourage everyone who visits these Free Dock locations to let the folks there know that you use the guide to find them and I also ask that you give me feedback on the locations by emailing me at ICWFreeDocks@gmail.com or using the contact form on the web site. I also like to receive pictures of each dock as I am posting them in a galley on the web site. 
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Ron Hill

Ken : Many years ago when we went south, I wrapped a crab pot around the prop.  Before I went into the water it did pass my mind " I wonder why they named it the "Alligator" River!?!

A thought    :shock:
Ron, Apache #788

Dave Spencer

James,
I just checked out your website on Free ICW Docks. What a great resource.  :clap Thanks for pulling it together. We plan to head down the ICW to The Bahamas likely in 2021. Assuming your site is still up and running, you can be sure that we will use it for planning and while under way and will provide you with feedback as we make our way south.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ken Krawford

James, what a fantastic resource you have compiled.  If I find anything worth contributing on my trip I'll forward it to you.
Ken Krawford

Hugh17

Quote from: Ken Krawford on June 21, 2019, 04:23:48 AM
James, what a fantastic resource you have compiled.  If I find anything worth contributing on my trip I'll forward it to you.

Ken

Thanks for the kind words and offer to provide some contributions. I appreciate it!
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25