Tightening alternator belt: M35B with standard 50A alternator

Previous topic - Next topic

rob herron

I just put a new belt on my M35B with standard alternator.

It's 985mm.
Panacea # 1491
2000 MkII Std rig, wing.

KWKloeber

Regarding the M-35B specifically --

Here I am again doing someone research.  With all the fretting about what size belt, in under 4 minutes one can find the dimensions and alternate part number.  Probably less than 5 minutes online I could (if I had a "B" engine) have had one dropped on my doorstep.

Simple, here's what you do, 3 easy steps:

1) Look up the Wb p/n (easily looked up on our Wiki)  $26 bucks.
You'll see that it also fits (as I thought) the XPB.  And about 30 Westerbeke/Universal engines (punch the Wb p/n into TOAD.)
2) Punch the Wb p/n into the cross-reference search on the Dayco belt website.
Bingo, you have the Dayco Top Cog p/n and all of its dimensions.
3) Go to Advance Auto and order that Dayco Top Cog.  Or go to the "other" auto parts and get one not as good.
If YOUR boat needs a half-inch difference you can exchange it.

TOP COG is what my Wb distributor recommends (even though they sell Wb belts) and RC recommended and is (IMO) hands down the BEST belt for our engines, proven to me in-use by those who had listened to that recommendation, later telling me that they have less dust and wear.  None have reported back that they like the bottom cog (NAPA, etc.) better.

Your Boat, Your (belt) Choice

!Sheesh!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : All of the Gates Co belts of our size are Top Cog belts (NAPA).  I was advised by Gates to always use the Top Cog belts because those cogs promote cooling of the belt.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Breakin, Plug the dayco p/n that you get into the Gates cross-reference search and you'll get the dimensions a part number. 

Ron which Gates belt p/n to you run?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain