mast collar blocks

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

Has anyone replaced the blocks at the base of the mast?  The ones the halyards go through before the organizer and back to the cockpit.  I looked garhauer but sizes did not seem to match up to what I have

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Joe Holmes

I have replaced the originals with blocks from Garhauer.  Ensure you measure and specify the diameter of the clevis pin for your installation.  Best to call them and place the order- this worked well for me.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Clay Greene

We did the same through Garhauer.  Call and ask for Mark - he will tell you what you need.  He has a C36 so he knows our boats very well. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

Guys : Most of us have replaced all of the blocks at the base of the mast (port & starboard) and the deck organizers to all ball bearing units for less friction.

I wrote a Mainsheet article on changing the angle of the deck organizers from 90 degrees to about 45 degrees to further lessen the pull further. 

When you talk to Garhauer make sure you specify that the blocks are for the base of the mast!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

I will add that I went through the process of replacing the masthead sheaves, the mast collar blocks, the sheaves in the deck organizer and even the rope clutches with the goal of making the sail easy to raise from the cockpit.  Ron's point about the angles gets at the heart of the problem - the halyard simply makes too many changes in direction and each one creates resistance no matter how good the blocks/sheaves. 

We have taken to jumping the halyard at the mast and pulling in the halyard from the cockpit.  It is super easy and we can get the sail up in less than a minute.  Our topping lift is cleated off on the boom so we have to go up there anyway plus the boat is flat when you are head to wind so it is no big deal.  We can get the sail up mostly by hand from the cockpit with winch for the last couple of feet but it is slow and harder work than jumping from the mast.  I wish I had known this before I spent all the money for very modest improvements in resistance.  But the shiny new blocks do look cool so there is that benefit. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

rappareems

Thanks guys.  I spoke with Mark at Garhauer and am awaiting delivery... have been jumping the main at the mast for quite a while.  I will check out Ron's suggestion on the angle...

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Albreen

You may already do this but if not, every so often I spray Sailkote in as much of the mast track as I can reach and liberally on the main sail slides to help ease a lot of the strain. I still jump the main at the mast and pull her up from there with the line tailed in the cockpit and it goes much easier.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain