Front Hatch Hinge Failure

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Solari

Here is my problem: The front hatch (I think it is a Lewmar design) hinges have failed and the hatch just sits on the hatch seat - OK from a leakage standpoint but not very functional. I can prop it open with a stick but I liked the way it used to stay up when newer. It used to "hold" in several positions.  How have other owners dealt with this problem? I have tried to have the local guy that services boats in our area try to find a replacement hinge but no luck. He is stumped. He tried Lewmar (somewhere in England) but got no response. It is hard to be first in anything with a 34 Cat so probably some of you guys or gals have found ingenious ways to overcome this problem or find new hinges.

Thanks,

Gary

Ted Pounds

Gary,  

Try a search on Google for 'Lewmar hatch parts'.  I came up with lots of possibilities.  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Chris

I found a parts supplier on the internet for the rollstop hinge replacement parts.  I believe it is Oyster Bay Marine....  You have to have the exact measurements of your hatch to get the right kit.  We replaced ours last summer and the hatch works great.  We used to prop ours open with a Wet Ones plastic dispenser - that was cheaper but less flexible.
ChriSea #832, 1989
Tall rig, fin keel
Sailing on Lake Michigan

Ron Hill

Gary : You didn't mention the year of your boat!!  If you have a 1988 or later you have a Lewmar Rollstop forward hatch.
Lewmar had a hinge replacement kit or you can do as Chris mentioned and check with Oyster Marine.  
If you have a 1987 I believe you have a Bomar.

Always let us know your Hull # and production year, it saves alot of wrong answers and guessing!!!  :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Gary Solari

Thanks for all of your answers.  My boat is a 1989 model hull #829.  Thanks again,

Gary

Roland Gendreau

Gary

I just repaired the roll stop hinges on my 1992.  I purchased the kit for $48  for my size 65 Lewmar hatch per this:

"In Jan 2002 bought a hinge kit for Lewmar Rollstop trapezoidal hatch size 65 part # 19782400 @ $39.30 from pete@rigginghydraulics.com (Peter Linwick; 1-800-718-1649). 1 kit per hatch containing all parts to rebuild rollstop hinges. Worked great - rollstop hinges now work as designed. "

Pete at rigging hydraulics was quite knowledgeable and was able to select the right kit for my hatch.

After I purchased the parts from him,  I did a google search and found another vendor that offers the same kit cheaper ($31 rather than $48)

http://www.marine.com/product_info.php/products_id/3998

Regards
Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI