"Leaking" fiberglass hull

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Like the issue of water from the tank puddling, has anyone ever seen or heard of puddled pink stuff eating/seeping thru the fiberglass hull? 

The pic below is where bottom paint was peeling on a C30 and underneath the paint is dripping pink (or what looks like it) after the area was ground back.

For reference, the painted shaft is at the bottom (right behind the shaft log) and above it the drips from the ground out fiberglass substrate.

This looks bizarre to me.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ted Pounds

When I did some work on my skeg a looong time ago I recall running into some pink stuff that appeared to be fairing/filler compound....
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ted Pounds on May 04, 2024, 06:59:59 AMWhen I did some work on my skeg a looong time ago I recall running into some pink stuff that appeared to be fairing/filler compound....

Maybe that might be the same pink that's in the background, under the bottom paint that was ground back.  Looks thin, maybe 1/4"?
I hope nothing was dripping from your strut area!!

He said it was pink stuff, I hope he didn't taste it go verify!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

LogoFreak

Looks to me like water intrusion into hull, any blisters anywhere else? Was the hull sealed with an epoxy barrier coat?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

KWKloeber

Quote from: LogoFreak on May 04, 2024, 09:25:52 PMLooks to me like water intrusion into hull, any blisters anywhere else? Was the hull sealed with an epoxy barrier coat?

The owner didn't say anything about blisters.  The whole area was peeling paint (and possibly barrier?) which led to him investigating it and grinding it back.

Sounded like an inside-out rather than an outside-in situation. 
But even if it was blistering due to intrusion, it wouldn't have been immersed in pink antifreeze to have that now dripping back out.
Odd!