Getting the Oven Working

Previous topic - Next topic

reedbr

Am I missing something here?  My stove burners work great, but I can't get the oven to fire.  The igniter does not press in, like it was locked out.  Also, when I turn on the burner for the oven and hold the valve knob in, I don't hear gas.  Is there another valve or safety I am missing, or do I need to start taking things apart, starting with the igniter?

C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Ken Juul

Most ovens are designed with a safety system.  A thermocouple must be heated before it will allow gas into the oven.  Normally the pilot light will keep the thermocouple hot.  If the pilot is off, it must be heated externally to get the oven on.  

That said, I don't have an auto ignitor, the auto ignitors on house ovens usually have an electrical element. Hold the ignition button in for period of time to let it get hot, then the gas automatically starts to light the oven.  When the gas cuts on can be timed or heat sensed depending on the system. Because of the dangers of having the oven in a confined cabin, the starters are not normally the sparking type found on gas grills.  If someone with a Mk II doesn't chime in, a call to the manufacturer maybe your next step.

I'll be at the boat this weekend if you still need help.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

c34member

As I remember it:  First light the right burner on the stove top.  Then, set the oven dial to the "Light" position (I think - this I don't remember).  Then, push the oven button and manually apply a flame to the pilot.  After 30 seconds the thermocouple should warm and the flame will spread to the burner bar - at which time you can release the button, set the temp. and turn off the burner.

God help you if you are a one armed sailor.

reedbr

Great.  Thanks for the information.  I'm feeling pretty silly if I missed the instructions on the inside of the door.  I didn't really needed it yet, so I haven't looked too closely.  However, I take off on a week long Chesapeake cruise on Monday. I should figure it out before I go.

Thanks again.

C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD