Boom end fittings

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold robart

I would like to remove at least one boom end fitting of my C-34 to untangle a jammed outhaul and install a reefing line.  I've removed the four screws and gently tapped and pryed to no avail.  They appear to be very tightly fitted. Any suggestions?

SteveLyle

I did this when I had my mast & boom repainted last year.  At the aft end, take out the four screws.  Then get a rubber headed mallet and various screwdrivers and apply sufficient force through mallet blows applied to the screwdriver handle, through the screwdriver, to the tip which is strategically placed on the fitting, in order to 'drift' the fitting off the end of the boom.  Here's the key point - if you feel like you're having to force it off, then that's the sign that you need a bigger mallet.

(That last sentence was a joke.  Alternatively, just hit the dang thang harder).

My reefing lines run external, so it's possible we have a different boom setup.  You're mileage may differ.

Jim Price

I removed my ends last fall for same reason.  Used liberal amounts of WD-40 and Liquid Wrench sprayed into cracks.  Be sure to clean all this mess out before you replace.  CAUTION - the tap out method works but you MUST tap alternately on opposite sides or it will get stuck forever!.  Also, be very careful with where you place screwdrive tip to not damage end cap in the process.  I put Lanocoat on the end caps when I replaces to minimize any corrosion activity in the future.  You can only beat these things so many times and you will have to replace.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA